SBC Headers - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2013, 09:07 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
what RPM are you shifting gears? are you over revving the engine?
lots of changes this winter,,,
make sure fuel delivery system is up to speed.
If you plan to get this car into the 10s,,,please do not even consider 1 5/8 tubes! Im thinking 1 3/4 tubes stepped to 1 7/8 for after the engine is figured out. carb maybe consider upgrading to 850?( I use a 950)
Shifting the car at 6400ish. It deffiantly feels like it pulls hard all the way through. Yes lots of changes to make. I know it is nice make 1 change at a time so you can tell the affect it had but i just have to much going against me right know. I'm running a mechanical edelbrock RPM 140 GPH know. I've decided to go with 1 3/4 for sure. As far as the carb goes this has been a tuff section to make. All you guys on the forum day 750 minimum. I spoke to Holley tech and they said 750 is to big and that a 650 will be more than enough. I don't know if this is a case of real world and what and tech guy is reading out of a book ?? I truly respect your guys opinion and was going to go with a 750 for sure...... But know an 850????...... Vin, your killin me lol!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2013, 07:35 PM

Think about this,local fella here Brandon,Gen 1 Camaro/355 auto,small roller,dart heads,,,,,,,,ran a best of 10.9 with a 650 double pumper
carb body,ported
air horn,removed
baseplate 850
actual flow through highly modified carb
,,,over 1000 cfm
Old 09-18-2013, 08:53 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostcelica View Post
Shifting the car at 6400ish. It deffiantly feels like it pulls hard all the way through. Yes lots of changes to make. I know it is nice make 1 change at a time so you can tell the affect it had but i just have to much going against me right know. I'm running a mechanical edelbrock RPM 140 GPH know. I've decided to go with 1 3/4 for sure. As far as the carb goes this has been a tuff section to make. All you guys on the forum day 750 minimum. I spoke to Holley tech and they said 750 is to big and that a 650 will be more than enough. I don't know if this is a case of real world and what and tech guy is reading out of a book ?? I truly respect your guys opinion and was going to go with a 750 for sure...... But know an 850????...... Vin, your killin me lol!!!
Carb size depends a lot on how you'll use it. Same for the intake. If this is a track only or mainly vehicle and you're not so concerned w/how it acts as a daily driver then using a carb big enough to max the output at the top of the powerband is the way to go. In that scenario an 850 on a single plane intake like a Vic Jr. is not too big if you go w/more flow and cam to get the 10 second time slip. Personally I'd rather see you using a good electric pump and a bypass regulator w/big lines.

One thing you have going for you is the weight of this rig. Once you get the ladder bars adjusted, the rear spring rate sorted and the rear shocks dialed in (hopefully they have compression/rebound adjustability and not just spring/ride height) and a set of front shocks that will allow the front end to rise at the hit but settle right back down (this can be helped w/a drag-type front spring), the 60' time will improve and it won't be ill handling at the big end. You're still gonna want as much tire as possible. Burnout and tire pressure are also important.

Chris Alston has some useful info. Some more reading here, by one of the original Ramcharger guys, Bill Shope.

Personally I'd rather see you using a good electric pump and a bypass regulator w/big lines.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:01 PM

"Personally I'd rather see you using a good electric pump and a bypass regulator w/big lines."
for road race I think a mechanical pump is safer.engine dies,so does fuel flow.I use a nascar mechanical pump and most important,a regulator.
big fuel lines is allway a good idea if you make power...
Old 09-18-2013, 09:17 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Is this a road racer? In any event, many racers (and the OEM) use a pressure switch and/or a rollover protection switch to stop fuel flow in the event of an accident.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:33 PM

pro has a nice/fast street car. I think the little monster has a lot of potential.
I have used electric and mechanical pumps.Big electric pumps(not in tank) can be quite loud.either way,the car needs volumes of fuel,and other things already mentioned
Old 09-18-2013, 11:08 PM

Last photo:

Edelbrock claims the pump will support 650hp so I should be ok no ??

I have t agree Vin. I feel like there could be some more potential there for sure. I say this as I have done nothing to attempt to tune the Motor yet besides bump the timing up and down a degree or 2. I couldn't even tell you what size jets the carb has in.

Last edited by prostcelica; 09-18-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:21 PM

everything in the car is working,just not that well.hook/launch is a big effort to get perfect.as horse power increases,the suspension needs to be retuned. When you get some more engine power,the suspension problems will get worse.
It will take a couple years of fun racing to get the car fast.By the time everything works perfectly,it will be time to freshen the engine and change something,,,
remember MPH = horse power
115 mph is a strong mid 11 second car or better.
when I changed my 750 double pumper for an 850 I picked up 3 MPH

fix your suspension first
get a race wheel alignment
dial in the shocks and traction bars
front sway bar is not always a good thing to have
Old 09-18-2013, 11:43 PM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=vinniekq2;1771953]everything in the car is working,just not that well.hook/launch is a big effort to get perfect.as horse power increases,the suspension needs to be retuned. When you get some more engine power,the suspension problems will get worse.
It will take a couple years of fun racing to get the car fast.By the time everything works perfectly,it will be time to freshen the engine and change something,,,
remember MPH = horse power
115 mph is a strong mid 11 second car or better.
when I changed my 750 double pumper for an 850 I picked up 3 MPH

fix your suspension first
get a race wheel alignment
dial in the shocks and traction bars
front sway bar is not always a good thing to have

Yeah. That's the plan for the winter

Fix front geomitry
Softer rear spring
Long tube headers
Bigger carb
AFR gauge/O2 sensor
Maybe a V gate shifter

Then we will see were we are at. Hey vin. What makes a drag race alignment different than a regular alignment ?? Less toe in ??

Last edited by prostcelica; 09-18-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:03 AM

most drag cars go through the traps with the front end higher(full power)than when cruising.
specs change when suspension moves. The alignment guy can optimise the toe in for your car by averaging specs at different heights. Some cars can go a 1/10 quicker with a race alignment but might not be easy on tires for normal driving
Old 09-19-2013, 07:06 AM

good example of a front end that is a big problem is 1967 and earlier chevyIIs. The lower control arm flexes and toe changes to the point that the front tires scrub when the nose is high
Old 09-21-2013, 11:31 AM

Last photo:

Ok. I got a little side tracked there. Back to the question at hand.

Headers. So I'm Gona go 1 3/4 primaries with a 3" collector. My question is about header flange. My cylinder heads have a D port shaped opening. Should I get a D port shape flange or just go with a round 1 3/4 flange?? Is there any real benefit going with a D shaped flange??

Also F bird mention something about a more modern header flange with better sealing capabilitys??
Old 09-21-2013, 12:00 PM

1/4 inch thick straight flange. Make sure it is flat and straight so it will seal better.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
1/4 inch thick straight flange. Make sure it is flat and straight so it will seal better.
Ok. D port or round?
Old 09-21-2013, 02:20 PM

I would match the ports.The flange should be slightly larger

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.