SBC - How high or low should it be? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012, 11:22 PM

Last journal entry: Gunked up 454 water jacket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

SBC - How high or low should it be?

Hello gents. We are at the time when we are starting to mach up my 327 in my 31 Coupe. My question is this; how high or low should the engine be in relation to the frame rails? I have attached several pics of the mach up and the engine appears to me to sit to high.

When looking at it from the side the oil pan protrudes only about 1" below the bottom of the frame rail which doesn't look right to me either. The measurement on each side from the inside top edge of the frame rail to the bottom of the engine mount is 5.25" (again seems kinda far). We are thinking about lower the engine about 1.5-2", but I wanted to hear from all of you here first before doing so.

Our pinion angle looks pretty good. Right now the carbs are at about a 2 degree down angle from front to rear and we anticipate that the carbs will be right at level once the weight of the engine and tranny is on the frame. But after running a string from the tranny tail shaft to the pinon on the 9 inch, with a two inch lower height than what we have right now, it looks better.

I also assume that the lower the engine is, the better my center of gravity will be.

I also wanted to mention that my pinion is not "centered" in the axle housing. The rear end has been narrowed but an equal amount of axle housing was taken off each end on my 9" so my driveline does not go straight down the center of the vehicle (instead is it is off to one side when looking at it from front to rear). Is this going to be a big problem for pinion tail shaft alignment? I have read over several of the postings here on pinion angle and just want to get clarification.

Here are some pics for reference...Thanks.

Side shot of the Coupe.

Front shot of the Coupe.

Wide view of engine mach up.

Frame rail side view showing relative position of the bottom of the oil pan at current engine height.

Passenger side view of proposed height of engine. Bottom of engine mount to inside corner of frame rail is 5.25".

Drivers side shot of engine with tape measure for reference.

Last edited by 31fordcoupe; 01-23-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 12:38 AM

Last photo:

Totally up to you and the look you want but I think it's way too high, almost 60' gasser style....but again, if thats how you want it. Here are some pics of my earlier 331" chevy in my TCI chassis, the bottom of the pan was right ar 6" off the deck. Then I've added a few pics of the 507" Cadillac in the same chassis and how I did the mounts, same distance on the pan. You may want to put the distributor in so you can gauge how much room you need from the firewall in case you ever have to pull it. It's just a hit and miss deal until you get it the way it fit's best.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:14 AM

Last photo:

Sorry, the web page wouldn't let me upload the pics, I'll try again. Hey it worked....anyway kind of hard to see but the chevy motor mount was just about even with the top of the chassis...maybe an inch higher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2025.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	861.2 KB
ID:	62177   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1997.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	710.8 KB
ID:	62178   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1992.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	1,015.2 KB
ID:	62179  
Old 01-24-2012, 04:53 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I like the height of it as-is. If you want to see more oil pan below the frame rails get a deep sump on there.

If you're going to use aluminum heads the c/g won't be effected as much. The water pump is centered on the radiator shell which is a consideration if you're using a mechanical fan. The gassers did that to improve traction/weight transfer. They went a LOT higher than you are; your car just gives the hint of a gasser- a look I personally dig.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:43 AM

Last journal entry: update
Last photo:

Way too high, especially at the front, way too far forward. If the chassis is gonna ride nose-down, then the engine doesn't have to sit parallel with the road.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:18 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

back as far as you can (doesnt look like you can get a lot more)

and a couple inches lower for sure (which will give you more backward clearance space)

looks like its sitting or leaning a lot to the left in the pics, also
Old 01-24-2012, 09:06 AM
Banned User

Last photo:

Personally i would get it as close in line with the pinion as possible as far as height.

As far as left/right, if the pinion is actually offset more to the right (passenger side) then great because you could actually put the engine slightly more to the right and this would comphensate for the weight difference of the driver sitting on the left---assuming you will drive it alone at least part of the time? Thus, this would give more equal weight distribution.

NOTE: that the suggestions are coming from someone who is not an engineer---it's just what i would do if i were in this situation.

Can i ask about your front suspension?
Old 01-24-2012, 02:42 PM

Last photo:

I didn't comment on the front end....but I have to say, I hope you're running fenders on the car but it doesn't look like you will be. A fenderless car or high boy as it's called really needs a traditional dropped axle front end. The stock or even aftermarket IFS just looks too bulky and out of place.....but again, to each his own and the budget he has to work with.

I also don't think the engine is too far forward, once you add the water pump and fan it should be just fine...besides it looks like it's back as far as it can go right now. Model A's aren't known for their generous engine compartment.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:18 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: $2500.oo Trans AM is home at last
Last photo:

As long as your intake sets level front to rear and side to side Where your carbs set! at the cars ride height you like! you would want the gas in your bowls setting pretty level (your oil too) + or - a couple of degrees. Put it where you want It: and you dont have to compensate for your weight Unless your really hefty and then youd have to make your doors bigger I like it at that height !! What ever floats your boat

Jester
Old 01-24-2012, 04:26 PM

Last photo:

If it appears to you to be too high , then it's too high . FWIW Too high for me too !
Old 01-24-2012, 04:28 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

FWIW Holley sells wedge plates to adjust the angle so the carbs are level:

p/n 717-1 7 wedge with square bore flange
p/n 717-2 12 wedge with square bore flange
Aluminum, includes gaskets, studs & nuts.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:51 PM
9.82 @ 139mph

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Before settling on the height I would mock-up head, headers, steering and whatever else that could become a future clearance issue.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:15 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: $2500.oo Trans AM is home at last
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
FWIW Holley sells wedge plates to adjust the angle so the carbs are level:

p/n 717-1 7 wedge with square bore flange
p/n 717-2 12 wedge with square bore flange
Aluminum, includes gaskets, studs & nuts.
Thanks Cobalt I forgot to mention wedges ( I didn't know who made em anyway

Chris

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.