Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - SBC ignition problem
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 03:42 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

SBC ignition problem

So I just got done rewiring a 76 corvette, and everything has gone smoothly until I went to start it. Now mind you; the car ran fine when I parked it at the beginning of summer and the only reason it was being rewired is because I had rewired it before when I was still learning and had a lot of poor craftsmanship. I used a generic painless universal harness. When I turn the key the engine cranks just fine, but i don't appear to have any spark. I checked the voltage on the +coil wire and it reads 12 V. I have the ground on the HEI going to the choke's ground on the carburetor (though I did also try a different ground when I was troubleshooting). From what I can see, everything is working the way it should but I can't see a spark either with the plug or with a socket shoved in the wire boot. So far I have swapped out the ignition module, cap, and coil but nothing has got it to fire. I've now become more certain that it must be my wiring, but I have no idea where to look next. An HEI only has 3 wires going to it correct? (tach, coil, ground?) I even checked the +coil wire's voltage as I turned the key to "start" to see if the voltage was cutting out of something, but no dice. Someone please help!

Hammer S