Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - sbc inneed of medical attention 911
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 06:51 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlil66 View Post
Not quite understanding. He did say I should get some good miles out of it but wasnt sure. After speaking with him today. He did say he would warranty the lower end but not the cylinder and or say how much compression I should Have. He said only one cylinder had enf rust to really worrie about.
He did fix alote of stuff.
A few of his guys said that if I use good oil and I had the 130 compression I claimed from before the rebuild It should be no problem to get 100k.

The short block is together ext for pan gasket and oil pump. What do you mean have parts returned gray? Thanks all.
Well what I am saying is this,from what your saying,is a new game in that now you have perfectly round rings<unlike before worn to whatever the bore was in that one cylinder>trying to seal against a nu-smooth bore surface.So your compression from before really doesn't come into play anymore.He's saying this because of the fact,sounds like,he can't be sure how that cylinder will ever seal correctly,nor now what your compression will be now or for the long term.That is a gamble now.

No doubt about it,guys are forced to do clean up oversized bores for situations just like yours.And that reinforces the need for sonic checks to see wall thickness so the machinist knows how much a block can be safely over-bored. If it is enough for him saying he won't stand behind the one bore,than it is enough for you to be concerned about it.

You have been through hell with this not even knowing if it could be saved.Now is not the time to make what could be a risk bad decision and not have the insurance of standing behind a rebuild with your wallet to buy new pistons for the over-bore and that rings to go with it.Returning the rings you have now which wouldn't work on a different bore size.

BTW as the saying goes:

Without detailed pictures of the bore in question,all we can do is form a opinion from what your telling us.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1Gary For This Useful Post:
sweetlil66 (05-05-2013)