Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - sbc inneed of medical attention 911
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 02:32 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
The tin shield you're describing is an oil shield (below). It, along w/a small rubber O-ring, was Chevy's way of controlling the amount of oil reaching the valve stem. This was used into the '80s.

The shields can be done away with if the seal is changed to a positive-type seal instead of the shield and O-ring setup. Otherwise, reuse them along w/new O-rings.

You need to see if the exhaust valves have rotators on them (left valve below, right valve has regular retainer). Rotators are a type of retainer that allows the exhaust valve to turn as the engine runs to lessen wear. They are thicker than the retainers found on intake valves, and are not generally used in performance applications.

The springs can be changed w/the heads on the engine. This is done w/compressed air to keep the valves closed or by filling the cylinder w/thin rope or cord until it's full, then the crank is rotated to push the piston against the rope to hold the valves closed. This is done on each cylinder on the compression stroke. We can add details if you need them.

The spring compressor has to be the type that works on a head assembled to the block. Some compressors can only be used w/the head off the engine as I'm sure you know.
Well your my new BFF!
He wants me to remove the rotators.
The pic you posted with the rotators on the left and non-rotators on the right is the way the new head is set up.
The head that was on the truck - Has rotators removed. So did the junk head.

QUOTE- The shields can be done away with if the seal is changed to a positive-type seal instead of the shield and O-ring setup. Otherwise, reuse them along w/new O-rings.

Do I need to do away with them? Im screed to death im gonna kill the cam on break in - Iv been reading horror story's!
I did speak with him to day and he said I need to remove the -Rotators (Use the spring& Retainers I got and make the exhaust valve look like the intake.
He built the head so Im guessing he knows what he is talking about.