SBC Intake leaks need advice on resealing - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2009, 09:03 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

SBC Intake leaks need advice on resealing

Hello guys well my bad luck with my new build on my 350 sbc just keeps getting worse. I was checking my fluid levels the other day and I noticed on my front driver's side water port on my intake has a small leak and I need to take off my intake and reseal it. I have not done this before and this is my first time doing it myself. I know what to do to clean everything up wise etc but have some questions. After I get my stuff all cleaned and put on my silicone beads on the front and back walls and my intake gaskets are on do I put a small circle bead on both the front and back water ports to help seal? I saw an intake done one time and they put the silicone on the intake gasket on the back water ports to help seal but not on the front if that makes sense. I figured you would do all four ports for the water jackets. My intake does not have an exhaust crossover I don't think at least my gaskets don't. I am using an edelbrock performer rpm.
Thanks guys
Eric

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2009, 09:08 AM

Aside from the block ends, you shouldn't need any silicone to seal up the intake.
Take a good look at them for porosity or corosion, then put a straight edge across to make sure it's straight there. Other than those possibilities, it shouldn't be any problem to seal them up with just a good gasket.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:42 AM

Last photo:

well the intake is new and only a few months old. It had no bad areas for porosity or anything. It just happend to leak in the little corner area.
Eric
Old 09-08-2009, 09:44 AM

Aluminum intakes will often need to be retorqued after a few heat cycles. Did the bolts feel pretty loose when you took them out?
Old 09-08-2009, 09:46 AM

Last photo:

Hello guys I found some more info that I had asked earlier this year when I did a previous motor build. I just put a small circle bead around the water ports. Thanks for help.
Eric
Old 09-08-2009, 12:55 PM

Edlebrock did not in the past reccomend using the fel pro blue gasket,are you using these,look in you instructions.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:06 PM

Last photo:

No I used the mr gasket ultra seal gaskets on this motor. Also I did use the felpro 1205 wich worked good on my other edelbrock intake on my other motor and it did excellent. I don't use the stock type felpro wich is all blue if that is what you talking about. I have always used the 1205 felpro's or the mr gasket ultra seal ones with no issues. Motor is coming out cause a day after I posted this my oil pressure started to suddenly fluctuate and more issued with the dumb thing so it's coming back out this weekend.
Eric
Old 04-09-2013, 10:03 PM

Last photo:

eldelbrock intake

If you are running a tunnel ram from eldelbrock, they sugest using silicone on the intake bolt treads, to prevent wet leaking around the bolt.
I have the same problem, intake has to come off,
wish I had know this the first time lol. Gary
Old 04-10-2013, 08:09 AM

Last photo:

Yeah I learned from that several years ago but since that time I have changed my own intake a couple of times (long story) and I have learned to do it like a pro but I always remember now to seal the intake bolts with sealer or they will seep. That was where my intake sort of leaked at and it is also good to recheck all the bolts after several heat cycles to make sure they are still good and tight.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.