SBC intake manifold will not stop leaking? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2012, 03:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

SBC intake manifold will not stop leaking?

I have a 96 Express van and I completely rebuild the engine. I originally had the intake sealed up tight but the lifters were defective so I had to pull it apart and reseal it. Then it leaked. I re sealed the intake again and now it leaks in the same area. leaks at the rear of the manifold where I applied RTV. I just got it together again and now it seeps from there. Any ideas on what is going on? it has the vortec style factory intake on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2012, 03:39 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksrt
I have a 96 Express van and I completely rebuild the engine. I originally had the intake sealed up tight but the lifters were defective so I had to pull it apart and reseal it. Then it leaked. I re sealed the intake again and now it leaks in the same area. leaks at the rear of the manifold where I applied RTV. I just got it together again and now it seeps from there. Any ideas on what is going on? it has the vortec style factory intake on it.
If you had it sealed up once before you had to tear it back down again, then you must be rushing yourself this time around getting aggravated and not getting it to seal up properly. JMO Relax clean it good and give it time to set-up before firing it up or so on. JMO

Cole
Old 04-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Very important to clean the mating surfaces with brake cleaner. Any oil and the silicone won't adhere.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:08 PM

Last photo:

I wasn't rushing. Whe I re did it the first time I did it myself (sitting in the van and trying to lift it into place and manuvering around components). I may have pushed the rtv out of place then. This time I did it with a friend and I triple checked and cleaned every surface! I was not in a hurry!! Believe me, I just want to get it running and it is just a toy, so no need to blast through repairs. I just don't understand? is applying a bead of rtv to the block and smearing rtv on the manifold ok to do? I think this will be my next method unless instructed otherwise.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:34 PM

If you have GOOD access to the offending area ,SOMETIMES you can clean the area and apply some more silicone [press it in ,your trying to fill a void] & it'll work !! CLEAN _CLEAN_CLEAN !!!
dave
Old 04-27-2012, 04:41 PM
JS-70

Last photo:

I have always had good luck by dimpleing the intake and block surface with a center punch. I know its too late now, but if you pull the intake again, clean it good and dimple front and rear!!
Old 04-27-2012, 05:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksrt
Are you using RTV as a gasket replacement on the china wall or is this just trying to get a seal with gaskets where they meet at the corners of the china wall, head, and intake?

By reseal do you mean the manifold came off each time and the sealing process repeated or at some point is the engine left assembled and you're putting RTV on the external joints?

Are you using RTV meant for engines rather than household plumbing?

Bogie
Old 04-27-2012, 05:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie
Are you using RTV as a gasket replacement on the china wall or is this just trying to get a seal with gaskets where they meet at the corners of the china wall, head, and intake?

By reseal do you mean the manifold came off each time and the sealing process repeated or at some point is the engine left assembled and you're putting RTV on the external joints?

Are you using RTV meant for engines rather than household plumbing?

Bogie
They don't sell the gasket kits with rubber seals for the china wall that I have seen. I am using rtv instead of a seal on the front and rear of the manifold. Yes I did pull the manifold off each time and replace the gaskets and rtv. Yes the rtv is for engines.
I think I will try to clean the crap out of the area and apply a thin coat of rtv to the outside of the existing rtv.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2old2fast
If you have GOOD access to the offending area ,SOMETIMES you can clean the area and apply some more silicone [press it in ,your trying to fill a void] & it'll work !! CLEAN _CLEAN_CLEAN !!!
dave
Would it be best to trim away the excess rtv that is there and then apply more rtv to it?
Old 04-27-2012, 06:49 PM

I'd only trim off what has squished out , then clean it w/ alcohol and put it on like you're grouting tile , you can always clean off any extra...
dave
Old 04-27-2012, 06:54 PM

I think I would pull it back off and do it right
Old 04-27-2012, 08:13 PM
World Famous VF-14

Last journal entry: Cleaned it up...
Last photo:

Remove the intake..(Sorry) clean the china walls with brake clean and the bottom of the intake also, and then use Permatex" Right stuff " it comes in a cheese wiz can, make a good thick bead and immediately install the intake right stuff is far superior to regular junky RTV. Always use Right stiff on a engine, Oil will attack regular rtv and it will eventually leak.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:30 PM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
Remove the intake..(Sorry) clean the china walls with brake clean and the bottom of the intake also, and then use Permatex" Right stuff " it comes in a cheese wiz can, make a good thick bead and immediately install the intake right stuff is far superior to regular junky RTV. Always use Right stiff on a engine, Oil will attack regular rtv and it will eventually leak.
+1 for the right stuff
Old 04-28-2012, 06:43 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

suck it in.

My old neighbor used to build a lot of circle track cars. He would duct tape all the openings on the engine, hook up a vacuum source to the dip stick tube then get out his stethescope and check aroung for a whistle. He would dab on sealant until he got the leak stopped, the vacuum sucked in into the hole. too much vacuum would suck it all the way through.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:20 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
X2

Cole

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.