Some of you may have seen posts detailing my woes with an intake manifold that had to come off my SBC several times; first for an oil leak, next for a vaccum leak.
After finally getting the engine sealed and running A OK I took it out on the local highway and after returning to the garage I see the original oil leak is back. After a positive chat with the local suicide hotline I counted to 10 and returned to the car.
There is NO WAY it could be leaking again I think to myself, it MUST be something else.
After some close inspection and removing the valve covers I noticed whilst replacing the valve cover that one of the bolts didnt slowly tighten as the gasket compresses but it came to a near sudden stop. The valve cover was ever so slightly coming into contact with the intake manifold at one corner stopping it from fully compressing the gasket.
I have to come to the conclusion that this was the original oil leak too and my last 2 weeks of playing with the intake could have been fixed in 10 minutes with my Dremel.
I am not sure what should be learnt from this except dont take ANYTHING to for granted. Just because two parts are listed for your engine DOESN'T mean they are designed to work TOGETHER on your engine.
I dremeled the intake and sure enought the oil leak dried up.