SBC, Iron heads DCR for Pump gas ! - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2010, 12:43 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Anyone....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2010, 03:59 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I would think that there'd be more advantage in building the engine w/a CR that will be safe, and give you some cushion against overheating and detonation, when used in an off road setting. 9:1 to 9.25:1 would be as high as I personally would go w/your set-up.

A torquey cam isn't going to require all the CR that can be built into an engine and would provide a good power curve for the use (off road Jeeping, tall tires, etc.) you have for it.

My recommendation would be to build the engine w/either a set of heads w/good flow and larger chambers, or to use D-cup pistons and the fulie heads you now have.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:43 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

this thread has my interest
tech
Quote:
A motor using a Performer intake will have very different cylinder filling characteristics than a motor using a Performer RPM intake, even with the same cam profile.
So just ask'n,,,anyone,,, would a smaller runner as in the non rpm per. intake make for a more or less detonation prone setup here?
Old 09-25-2010, 08:38 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,145 Times in 944 Posts
Going by the efficiencies that I see on the DynoSim after doing hundreds of them, it is my belief that a low-rise intake manifold such as a Performer will be less efficient at filling the cylinder than a high-rise intake such as a Performer RPM or Weiand Stealth. If you aren't filling the cylinder as well, you aren't making as much cylinder pressure and the tendency of the motor to detonate, all other things being equal, would be reduced in my opinion.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:53 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

OK thanks tech. I am think'n that at lower rpm the smaller runner of the standard performer will fill the cylinder better due to a higher velocity and this lower rpm is were the load is highest. So scooting it in there faster is better in the lower rpm?,,,think'n out loud cause I have a eps performer. Wonder how the eps hold's up to this thinking, its more or less a high rise I beleive.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom10
OK thanks tech. I am think'n that at lower rpm the smaller runner of the standard performer will fill the cylinder better due to a higher velocity and this lower rpm is were the load is highest. So scooting it in there faster is better in the lower rpm?,,,think'n out loud cause I have a eps performer. Wonder how the eps hold's up to this thinking, its more or less a high rise I beleive.
Well, I guess it all depends on the rest of your equipment. The RPM is rated to begin making power at 1500 and I don't know anybody who is expecting to begin applying power to the tires with any less than a 2000 stall converter and some gear. I mean, if they are thinking performance at all. Maybe if you were using a stock converter and foot braking the motor against the converter you might get some ping, but that is the exception rather than the rule I would think.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Bold As Love

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
You know, I've no idea where you come to any of the conclusions that you so often voice here. But until or unless you have some actual hands on experience to back up these kinds of blanket statements, you need to type less and get your hands dirty more, IMO.

What I am getting at, is you have no experience- by your own admission you've yet to build a single engine, unless I have misunderstood you. I would think that you would realize there's a lot more to the engine building procedure than reading a few (or many) lines off the 'net. You are in no position to be giving advice- again, IMO.
I completely rebuilt a stock 240 ford six a while back. I have also rebuilt the kawsaki z1 I had, using 11:1 pistons and new valves. Both turned out well, I almost died in a wreck on the z1, that thing was pretty mean. You don't have to like me cobalt, I couldn't care less what your opinion is
Old 09-27-2010, 02:17 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Biker
You don't have to like me
That I have zero respect for you has nothing to do w/your ability- or lack thereof- to advise folks on their maladies.

Instead of "guessing", "supposing" or parroting something you read/heard/dreamt somewhere- i.e. cases where you actually have something substantial to offer- other than a WAG, fine. Otherwise...

An example that you throw out occasionally is
Quote:
"I myself prefer more compression and less spark timing."

And jewels like:
Quote:
I learned this because I sometimes back the timing down (sometimes too much) when pulling the trailer at high speeds on a road trip. It (retarding the spark advance) makes the motor feel more relaxed at 90 mph and I like to go fast. Hope I didn't confuse you, I didn't mean to. See what vacuum line goes to the distributor, I like the vacuum line that only pulls vacuum when you hit the gas. Some people use manifold vacuum.

I am sure somebody can word this better than me but you need a timing light and a piece of chalk.
Now, only an idiot OR THE UNINITIATED would actually believe there was an advantage in doing this, yet you toss it out there, apparently w/no regard for anyone who might be lured into actually doing something this lame.

You said something along the lines of "don't say anything if you can't say...". I would say to you, "don't say anything- period."
Old 09-27-2010, 02:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
That I have zero respect for you has nothing to do w/your ability- or lack thereof- to advise folks on their maladies.

Instead of "guessing", "supposing" or parroting something you read/heard/dreamt somewhere- i.e. cases where you actually have something substantial to offer- other than a WAG, fine. Otherwise...

An example that you throw out occasionally is

And jewels like:
Now, only an idiot OR THE UNINITIATED would actually believe there was an advantage in doing this, yet you toss it out there, apparently w/no regard for anyone who might be lured into actually doing something this lame.

You said something along the lines of "don't say anything if you can't say...". I would say to you, "don't say anything- period."
You almost sound as crabby and intolerant as myself.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:52 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Just when you think the idea had finally sunk in... then here comes crap that's 2 weeks old- apparently he craves attention- no matter from what quarter.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:02 PM

Last photo:

Guy's Chill out ! I appreciate all your help, Because some of you are real hotrodders with real experience making my life easier. As in helping me with my engine for the Off road Jeep.
Which unfortunately I haven't reached final decision yet. Not because of F-Bird's grate answer. Just because I am thinking about going to bigger tires, and which if i should use manual transmission and on and on....

Sorry guys.

Best regards.
Monzter...

Last edited by monzter; 09-27-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:28 PM
T-Bucket, Corvette, Mustang

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by monzter
Guy's Chill out ! I appreciate all your help, Because some of you are real hotrodders with real experience making my life easier. As in helping me with my engine for the Off road Jeep.
Amen. I really dislike reading the threads where you slog through two guy's posts who are verbally attacking each other, back and forth, because they each believe they are the authority on a subject. If you disagree, simply and objectively state what you believe and let what you wrote on a subject stand on it's own merits. Statements such as 'I have zero respect for you' and 'I couldn't care less what your opinion is' shows me I shouldn't seriously consider either one of the parties as an authority. Let's keep it helpful and civil.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:43 PM

Last photo:

Normally I'd agree but dirtybiker gives a lot of bad advice, and its going to cost the poor sob who follows it. Unfortunately their isn't anything the mods will do in regards to someone repeatedly posting horrible advice as long as they are civil in doing it.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:18 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolover
Normally I'd agree but dirtybiker gives a lot of bad advice, and its going to cost the poor sob who follows it. Unfortunately their isn't anything the mods will do in regards to someone repeatedly posting horrible advice as long as they are civil in doing it.
I'm not so sure about that. ap72 was always civil.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:29 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucumber1949
Let's keep it helpful and civil.
I'll let my "helpfulness" stand on it's own merits or demerits- as viewed by those who I've tried to help. I do NOT give a whit whether the 'regulars' here like me- that is not why I am here. Nor do I judge the regular's efforts by whether or not I "like" them, either. This is not a popularity contest! It IS about sharing good information.

The biggest "help" that could be done in THIS case, is to muzzle the bad advisers- not those who call them on it.

AFA civil, if you don't like the tone/timbre of my posts, it is very simple as to how to not be bothered by them.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.