SBC mechanical fuel pumps keep going out - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2013, 06:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

SBC mechanical fuel pumps keep going out

I keep having fuel pump issus on my 350 SBC (stock as far as I know since I dont know what cam it has). I have replaced 3 pumps over the past 300 miles or so on the engine. I am hesitant to buy another but dont know if this is common or not. I have ran Napa brand pumps for the most part. Im sure its the pump since I have tested with the inlet line in a gas can to test suction side, while observing the disconnected outline line. I let it crank for 30 seconds each time I test with no gas. So I am certain this is a bad pump. The pump rod is not getting bound up or stuck on anything that I can tell. The only thing that I think may be causing these pumps to fail early is possibly running a filter on the suction side? Thanks for any suggestions or things I might check. I also would prefer not to go electric but might have to if I cant find a mechnical solution.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Fought beside and with you 92'

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

Suction side okay.

Are you pumping arm by hand and its not pullin fuel through? What you describe by cranking could be the pushrod is not make contact. I place a 6" pice of pipe on the arm and prime it in a vice with a fuel can.

Mechanical pumps for me last a very long time.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:27 PM

Last photo:

How much travel does the pump rod have? Lately I have seen a few flat tappet cams with the fuel pump lobe worn badly. Anoher victim of the junk oils sold now..
Old 03-03-2013, 06:38 PM

I have not tried priming in a vice but that would have been useful last time I had it off the block. I will test it with my other pump though to see what it does. Thanks!
Old 03-03-2013, 06:40 PM

I have heard of the cam lobs being flattened, but I think rod is ok on cam since it seems to run fine and then go out after awhile. I would think if it was a flattend lob, it would never run at all. Thanks
Old 03-03-2013, 06:46 PM

Last photo:

Did you place the pump cam lobe on base circle? That way it will be easy to hold that rod up and more room to slide the pump in.

If it all of sudden quit , im guessing the pump cam lobe has enough meat to run the engine.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:51 PM

Well, I use the "grease on the rod method" each time to hold the rod in place while I put the pump in. Do you mean rotating the crankshaft to a certain point (Base circle??) to give the max. room to put the rod in?

Thanks
Old 03-03-2013, 06:54 PM

Last photo:

Yes, it will be harder to install if the lobe is trying to press down on the pump.

The pushrod resting on the finger tip is better. Have someone bump the engine, with your finger on it. Find the highest point.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

All good advice here. Also as suggested the possibility the sock filter in the gas tank could be plugged and not allowing fuel to get sucked through by the pump.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATECH View Post
All good advice here. Also as suggested the possibility the sock filter in the gas tank could be plugged and not allowing fuel to get sucked through by the pump.
I bought an old Suburban that would run fine untill the ambient air temp would reach 82 degrees. Which in Michigan isn't all that often. Then it would only go only 40 mph. Drove me crazy,,

It also ate fuel pumps. After the third one in six months. I took the last failed pump apart and the suction side valve had been pulled (sucked) out of it's staked hole. I then pulled the tank and the sock was melted!! to the tube. Replaced the unit and pump, drove the thing 140,000 with no more problems.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.