SBC misfire - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2006, 04:18 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

SBC misfire

I have a misfire problem with my car, I've got a shoebox nova with a sbc/muncie 4 speed/ 4.11 9" combo.
Engine has-
forged bottom end, 9.3 static compression(91 octane)
solid flat tappet cam 490 lift 240 degrees @ .050
sportsman 2 iron heads
pertronix billet distributor
speed demon 650
super comp fenderwell headers
327ci

The car is real light, and the engine run's real strong on the low end. Problem is around 5000+ RPM's there is a random misfire, I shift as soon as I feel it, but I believe the setup has got to make max power around 6300-6500RPM. Initial timing is set at 16 degrees. A lot of people I've talked to have told me that the pertronix dist. is capable of high RPM's out of the box and that an ignition box isn't required, but it's one of the only things that hasn't been covered. I'm planning on running nitrous in the near future and will run a box then, but is it needed now?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2006, 06:51 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Either your running out of fuel or out of spark. Check both the fuel system and the ignition system. One way of checking the ignition is too look at the spark, if it`s yellow it`s weak, if it`s blue it`s okay.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:02 AM

Last photo:

One of the best diagnostic tools is a fuel pressure guage. Mount it at the cowl so you can monitor fuel pressure under load and at the rpm the miss occurs. You want 5-7 psi, any less may cause problems. What kind of fuel pump are you running and what size fuel lines.

Steve
Old 07-24-2006, 07:47 AM

Last photo:

A 327 with a 240 @ .05" cam should have a power peak well in excess of 6500 rpm, ours is above 7000. Have you checked the valve springs?
Old 07-24-2006, 07:59 AM

Last photo:

I'm thinking springs also.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:40 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

miss

You listed your initial timing but what is the total timing set at???

What fuel pump is on it???

Is that distributor what they call a stock replacement??? If so the stock style HEI modules all but quit right around 5500 rpms...

Do you have a true 12 volts to the distributor????

what spark plugs are in it??? when was the last time you changed them??

Keith
Old 07-24-2006, 11:40 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

welcome to the site

I'll take a complete MSD system anytime.

As an observation I would like to make a general comment. We see this all the time on this site as well as at the strip and the cruises.

Not being mean, just observant for many years.

Too many people want to build a high performance engine and then cheap out on the valve train and the ignition systems.

They would save themselves a lot of anxiety and $$$ by spending the extra on an excellent proven system at the very beginning.

www.readershotrods.com
Old 07-24-2006, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrik
welcome to the site

I'll take a complete MSD system anytime.

As an observation I would like to make a general comment. We see this all the time on this site as well as at the strip and the cruises.

Not being mean, just observant for many years.

Too many people want to build a high performance engine and then cheap out on the valve train and the ignition systems.

They would save themselves a lot of anxiety and $$$ by spending the extra on an excellent proven system at the very beginning.

www.readershotrods.com
I'm 24, had this car since I was 19. Not one person in my family is remotely into cars, besides my younger brother with his dodge demon. The car is a complete project that's finally starting to see some street time. I make no money and have no resources, this is the best I can do.

I'd give anything to have some family that could point me in the right direction, but until then i blow up motors, thats how i learn.

BTW every kid around here has a full ignition setup, valvetrain, heads and all that and is frying 1 tire down the road thru a 3.08 open diff. It is MY observation that people like to cheap out on suspension, rear end, and brakes.

.....and my spring seat pressure is 140 lbs, i've got 1 piece chromoly push rods, guide plates, roller rockers all the goodies, i wouldn't say i "cheaped out" on the valve train,
carter high flow mechanical pump- 6 psi, 1/2 lines( yeah i know, im upgrading to a electric unit soon)
it does have true 12 volts to the coil, and has autolite AR-13 race plugs, brand new

the distributor is not an HEI style,but i do believe it is a stock replacement, with a billet housing. I haven't checked total timing, i've always just adjusted the base timing and gone from there, i guess that's next to check.

Thanks for the replies, ill keep this thread updated until the problem's solved
Old 07-24-2006, 01:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

miss

Well we are not getting into the valve train until we go through the basics first.....lets not put the cart before the horse guys....

So it's a points style distributor??? or an electronic like a msd with a remote coil???

If you have 12 volts at the coil your one step closer to solving the problem.....

We really need a total timing figure before you go any futher.. It would be not be smart to keep guessing at the problem if you only have say 25 degrees of total timing...

Keith

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.