SBC Nitrous Mustang Fox - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 05:31 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJAY View Post
Hey guys..
If I run a separate mini fuel system cell for my nitrous with race fuel...can I have pump gas in my primary cell??

Will this mess up the distribution of nitrous/fuel?

Thanks for the Feedback... advice pointed me the direction needed to go Fast
not enough info.
If you are hitting it hard use 110+ octane race gas in both the nitrous and engine fuel sides. Especially while finding the tune.

Make sure the "mini" is not too mini.
Nitrous does not damage engines. Foolish mis use of nitrous does.
( fuel supply, octane, timing)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 05:45 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

My concerns are the block I have...will it be ok for what im looking to do? quote...

The block will take all kinds of nitrous power. So will the crank rods pistons etc.

What no engine component will take is detonation for long. If you want trouble free racing on nitrous
run it on 110+ octane race gas. Detonation is you enemy. Quality high octane fuel is your friend.
The cam is small for a max nitrous effort.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:51 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

fox suspensions

You can drop the front cross member. slot the holes about and inch and move the front wheels forward, with smaller front tires you shouldn't have to modify the fender lip. motor back as tight to the firewall as possible. Mini tub ? the stock Fox rear suspension attaches to the floor, you need stronger mounting points . on a fox that has been driven hard you can pull the rear seat and see distortion and maybe even a few broken welds. do you have the sub frame kit installed . with what you are planning too do you should have the ladder type on each side. more tie plates. front structure should have a tubing square added to the front radiator support,fender to fender on top and bottom rail to bottom rail.A full width brace across the back of the engine compartment fender to fender, then add the shock tower to cowl bracing and shock tower to shock tower cross brace. Bird cage the inner parts of the car.

Last edited by timothale; 01-18-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88 View Post
My concerns are the block I have...will it be ok for what im looking to do? quote...

The block will take all kinds of nitrous power. So will the crank rods pistons etc.

What no engine component will take is detonation for long. If you want trouble free racing on nitrous
run it on 110+ octane race gas. Detonation is you enemy. Quality high octane fuel is your friend.
The cam is small for a max nitrous effort.
So I dont need 1.5 gal cell....just run straight from my primary cell another fuel pump and use race gas...pretty simple I guess.
okay...so when i use nitrous put race gas in and when i want to drive it on the street then what? can this nitrous race gas motor run on pump gas??
this is what i really want to know
Old 01-18-2013, 03:18 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale View Post
You can drop the front cross member. slot the holes about and inch and move the front wheels forward, with smaller front tires you shouldn't have to modify the fender lip. motor back as tight to the firewall as possible. Mini tub ? the stock Fox rear suspension attaches to the floor, you need stronger mounting points . on a fox that has been driven hard you can pull the rear seat and see distortion and maybe even a few broken welds. do you have the sub frame kit installed . with what you are planning too do you should have the ladder type on each side. more tie plates. front structure should have a tubing square added to the front radiator support,fender to fender on top and bottom rail to bottom rail.A full width brace across the back of the engine compartment fender to fender, then add the shock tower to cowl bracing and shock tower to shock tower cross brace. Bird cage the inner parts of the car.
It's not stock fox everything has been done .. i'll post pics up soon
Old 01-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

There's some real good Nitrous guys over on the yellow bullet site and they have a lot more experience. You might hit them up over there.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:28 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

At a 10.60:1 engine compression ratio you are as near to running on the edge, on good pump gas 92+ octane
as you want to be.
When using nitrous and 10.60:1 cr and it don't matter where or how much or how often,, you want fuel that will not detonate.

What you can actually get away with, epends on a lot of factors. If you have to ask,,, you are best to not skimp on the quality of the fuel in the tank, when- and how ever using nitrous.

Cause when you get it just a little bit wrong. $$$$Its not going to be pretty$$$$.

I built my dedicated nitrous real street pump gas nitrous motor with a intended conservative 9.8:1 cr just for this purpose.
Reliable and powerfull goof proof running on nitrous, on premimum pump gas. go real fast without hurting parts. (I've been doing this a long time and have the trophies to prove it.)

You are on/near the practical naturally aspirated edge already for pump gas. Get used to putting good stuff in the tank when ever you run nitrous on that motor.
The money you spend on high octane gas is well worth it- if engine life matters to you.

With nitrous, quality gasoline is your best friend.
And wether you have a stock block or what ever else will not change that.

The key to successful nitrous and supercharger engines is staying well within the laws of physics.
Engines stay together when ever you do. And fly apart real quick when ever you don't.
The quality of the fuel used is most critical. Race gas is cheaper than pistons.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 01-19-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:29 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Trophies are pretty easy to come by in Bracket racing.. The "heads up" classes have the fastest and best cars.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88 View Post
At a 10.60:1 engine compression ratio you are as near to running on the edge, on good pump gas 92+ octane
as you want to be.
When using nitrous and 10.60:1 cr and it don't matter where or how much or how often,, you want fuel that will not detonate.

What you can actually get away with, epends on a lot of factors. If you have to ask,,, you are best to not skimp on the quality of the fuel in the tank, when- and how ever using nitrous.

Cause when you get it just a little bit wrong. $$$$Its not going to be pretty$$$$.

I built my dedicated nitrous real street pump gas nitrous motor with a intended conservative 9.8:1 cr just for this purpose.
Reliable and powerfull goof proof running on nitrous, on premimum pump gas. go real fast without hurting parts. (I've been doing this a long time and have the trophies to prove it.)

You are on/near the practical naturally aspirated edge already for pump gas. Get used to putting good stuff in the tank when ever you run nitrous on that motor.
The money you spend on high octane gas is well worth it- if engine life matters to you.

With nitrous, quality gasoline is your best friend.
And wether you have a stock block or what ever else will not change that.

The key to successful nitrous and supercharger engines is staying well within the laws of physics.
Engines stay together when ever you do. And fly apart real quick when ever you don't.
The quality of the fuel used is most critical. Race gas is cheaper than pistons.
Alight.. so since my CR is higher a small shot of nitrous is more efficient...I was thinking about a power shot system fixed shot I've heard mixed stuff about it...I wasnt planning on spraying more than 150 to be honest with you..But yes! I will use race gas when using nitrous....I know run the carb little fatter and retard the timing...But when using race gas on a street pump gas motor.... does it effect anything else?? do i have to re-tune the motor for this?
Thanks again
Old 01-21-2013, 07:38 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Not if you use a unleaded race gas that has a similar specific gravity to street pump gas.

I doubt you will find a real use for nitrous on the street.
Find yourself a source for good 110 octane unleaded gasoline and get used to the idea of using it.

It blends nicely with unleaded premium as required.
There is no free lunch.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 01-21-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:49 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Next time, if you want to hit a motor real hard with big big shots of nitrous
on 92 octane, build the engine with a low low compression ratio.
Just like a blower motor.
Stay within the laws of physics and it will make a ton of reliable power
and not come unglued.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:00 AM

fb,you should post the laws of physics and formulas for those of us that do not know,thanks
Old 01-21-2013, 08:06 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
fb,you should post the laws of physics and formulas for those of us that do not know,thanks
You wouldn't know what to do with the math.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:15 AM

Maybe I wouldnt know what to do with the math,true.Maybe only you know what to do with the math?
I say the following statement should not be posted for us stupid people ,as you are calling us.

"Stay within the laws of physics and it will make a ton of reliable power
and not come unglued."
Old 01-21-2013, 09:07 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

I don't see anywhere where I have ever said anything like your rude comment.

So... your words, not mine.....

But, if the shoe fits.. ..you......

Tags
1 piece rear, mustang, nitrous plate, sbc

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.