Hot Rod Forum banner

SBC oe roller cam recommendations

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  eric32 
#1 ·
My next build is a 4 bolt 350 that has all the holes and bosses for a oe style roller cam. What just wondering what would be a good one for my application.
10.5:1, dart pro1 200cc heads, hooker super comp 1.75" long tubes, in a 3000 lb. nova with 3.42 or 3.73 gears. Would like it to turn past 6000 RPM, as my flat tappet 10:1 motor with these heads does just fine. Any reccomendations would be appreciated, will be the first time i've used a roller cam.

#2 ·
I run those heads on my 383 and they're around the 500 hp mark. Can't remember the max lift to flow rate but think your cam would need to be in the upper .500 lift area. I run a 645 lift in mine though the heads peak out as i said in the upper 500s to 600 lift range. Going beyond 6000 RPMs, i'd prefer a solid roller of steel or forged make. I'm sure others on here might want more info from you to advise further but based upon your post, what i mentioned above is what first jumped out at me,

#5 ·
The 200cc heads on 350 will be able to run real close to 7000 rpms and will require a cam that needs more lift than the stock lifter setup can handle. At that point you'll be into lift bar lifters and there is no advantage in using the stock setup or later block.

For a strong running street motor you could go to the max safe lift of .530. You'll notice that Howards makes a fair amount of cams for OEM roller blocks in the .530 lift - shockingly :) Those heads look like they'll want at .600-.650 to be maximized IMHO.

As always, it comes down to how fast you wanna go, in other words, how much money you want to spend.

#8 ·
I am in the process of getting a new build put together once I have every thing but my previous 350 build sat inside a 86 chevy s10 with a 650 holley double pumper and a weiand dual plane high rise intake and a pair of dart iron eagle 200cc heads that was fully ported and cleaned up and gasket matched with a decked block and 9.5 to 1 compression with a scat rotating assembly. I had 3.73 rear gears posi unit and a 3000 plus rpm stall with a turbo 350 transmission. I ran a lunati voodoo hydraulic roller cam retrofit style which was 282/290 231/239@50 535/550 lift on a 110 lsa.

That combo was a very nice build that had around 12 inches of vacuum in park and had a very nice range of power from 3000rpm and up past 6000rpm and leveled off and was a very snappy and responsive motor that ran on pump fuel 93 octane and I had most likely over 400 plus horsepower and 400 plus ftlbs of torque and even got 19 mpg cruising down the interstate at 3200 rpm at 70 mph. Depending on certain things you could go even a little bigger then the size I used previously and still have something that can be used for minor street manors and still pack a lot of power.

Most hydraulic roller cams for the most part are done by 6300rpm because of several factors which can be addressed to gain more rpm but if your wanting to make as much power as you can and rev it past 6500 rpm to almost 7000 rpm then a solid roller is what you might want to look into as there is a lot of options there along with several different solid roller lifters to where you can get ones that allow extra oiling on the roller wheels and bearings so they can be used on street builds and have extra insurance on the lifters still getting more then enough oil to keep them happy at lower rpm levels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.