Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - SBC OEM Hyd Roller Thrust issues
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 07:16 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by zildjian4life218 View Post
Is it common to have to install shims to get the thrust clearance correct? would a different timing set maybe fix this? If im pointing blame at the $30 timing set or the $300 cam im leaning towards maybe trying a new timing set. Any ideas?
I can't say this is common.

Looking at the pictures it appears that there is more wear on the top of the thrust plate than the bottom. This could be:
- The block is warped or miss machined across the face.
- The cam thrust face is angled slightly.
- The cam bore of the block slopes going rearward.
- The thrustplate is machined at an angle.
- The gear is machined with an angle.

Without a lot of dissassembly and measurement it's hard to say which of these are the cause. My quick and dirty method would simply measure for .005 inch clearance at the tightest spot, get some brass shim stock that provides that clearance and cut it out to the bolt circle and install it between the cam nose and inside of the gear hub.

I suggest brass as in the paper thin dimension you'll need as it's stiffer than aluminum foil and softer than steel so its strong enough to survive and not crush under the bolt load while soft enough to shape with hobby tools.

Bogie
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldbogie For This Useful Post:
Richiehd (01-24-2013), zildjian4life218 (01-24-2013)