SBC oil pan removal? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2008, 06:12 AM
AK427

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

SBC oil pan removal?

Have removed all bolts except a couple on the passenger side rear as the starter is in the way (I only need to lower the front of the pan). Despite 90% of the bolts being out, the pan won't budge (even with some screwdriver 'encouragement').

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Ian.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2008, 08:39 AM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:

It is pretty amazing how "stuck" these can be depending on how much silicone the previouse owner used. Plus you have the timing cover overlapping. If you have removed the timing cover bolts already then I would say just give the cover a yank and it should all loosen up.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:48 AM

Last photo:

If you are trying to pry it loose, then just bolt it back up, it won't work. If it's stuck that hard, the gasket will rip in numerous places. Pull the starter and remove all the bolts and pull it all the way off. Clean it all and use a new gasket.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:53 AM
AK427

Last photo:

Thanks guys. The whole reason I wanted to drop the pan was to get the timing cover off. However, when I was under the car trying to get the pan off, the timing cover suddenly just popped off (I'd taken all the bolts out already) and nearly smacked me in the face! I still want to drop the pan so I can check the contents for anything undesirable and to change the gasket just for 'belt and braces'.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:19 AM
Last photo:

Reminds me of the time I was working as a dealership mechanic. I had a comback on a new hire mechanic who had been let go previously. He installed a rebuilt shortblock in a car and the engine had gone south. I pulled the engine and strarted taking it apart. This moron had used several tubes of 3M "yellow snot" weatherstrip adhesive on everything. The oil pan gasket had it on both sides very liberally, the timing chain cover, the intake, and the valve covers. I actually had to chisle the oil pan and the valve covers off, which made it impossible to reuse them. The shop foreman took pictures of the mess and posted them on the shop bulletine board and dared anyone to use the stuff on an engine or risk being fired.

Vince
Old 06-30-2008, 12:59 PM
Stroke Meister

Last photo:

Quote:
moron had used several tubes of 3M "yellow snot" weatherstrip adhesive on everything
I think he switched to RTV
Old 07-04-2008, 07:01 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
This moron had used several tubes of 3M "yellow snot" weatherstrip adhesive on everything.

Vince
Didn't leak though, did it?

I use the stuff for certain things, but not on something I think might need to be taken apart in the next several years.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:40 AM

Hmm, Ive always found the gorilla snot to come off rather easily. Its the dark permatex "form a gasket" stuff that I dread finding on my gaskets. Wow!!

Give that oil pan a few solid raps on the bottom edge with a rubber mallet while your prying and always be carefull not to disfigure it with your prybar. That is a surefire way to cause future leaks.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65smallblock
Hmm, Ive always found the gorilla snot to come off rather easily. Its the dark permatex "form a gasket" stuff that I dread finding on my gaskets. Wow!!

Ah yes, Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket.
I always thought it was designed to allow the airplane engine to keep running in case all the bolts fell out. Itsa safety thing. LOL

Actually it is the only way to stop the leaks on a radial engine.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:21 PM

Last photo:

Gasoline will soften dried yellow 3M, but you may have to soak it for a while.

Permatex #2 will soften with alcohol, the more concentrated, the better. This also can take a while.

Stuff sealed with Permatex #3 generally peels off easily, and what residue sticks to the metal also cleans up with alcohol.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Stroke Meister

Last photo:

Quote:
Gasoline will soften dried yellow 3M, but you may have to soak it for a while. Permatex #2 will soften with alcohol, the more concentrated, the better. This also can take a while. Stuff sealed with Permatex #3 generally peels off easily, and what residue sticks to the metal also cleans up with alcohol.
Not with Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket #80019
Quote:
Actually it is the only way to stop the leaks

RTV
Old 07-08-2008, 10:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroke
Not with Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket #80019

RTV
That's the stuff. I've been using it for ~35 years. I paint it on the gasket and let it sit for a few minutes so it can soak in some, then paint it again just before installing. It turns loose pretty easily that way, and many times the gasket can actually be reused with another light slathering.

And I agree wholeheartedly about RTV. It has a couple of good uses, but mostly it's a pain in the backside.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.