Hot Rod Forum banner

SBC - power steering bracket

13K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  327 / 350 hp 
#1 ·
Hey guys, check out my thread.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=71434&page=1&reverse=1

I need to know how many different types of power steering brackets there are for the SBC.

I need a power steering bracket for my 1963 Parisienne (Laurentian running gear).

I think there is short and long, from what I have read?

I found this advertised on ebay, as long as the water pump length is correct, is this all there is to it?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Don't quote me, but that sort of looks like what I remember on the last factory use of the short water pumps on 72 chevy v8 pickups. Pickups used short pumps a few years longer than cars did. 72 truck was the last, I believe.

The main bracket with an "open" hole, or hook type bolt hole, really rings a bell. The truck bracket bolted to the lower left front face of the block, on the 2 holes that would have been for 55-57 chevy front motor mounts.

There was a bizzare brace that went over to the left front side motor mount....but that long bracket you show may be different than what I recall....it's been a while....or maybe your pic does not show an adjustment slot in that brace??

#5 ·
There are two different lengths of water pumps (short and long), and the power steering pump bracket must match. The original on your '63 vehicle would have been a short water pump and PS pump bracket.

I've never seen a bracket like in your picture, but that doesn't mean it isn't the right one. Most brackets have two pieces.
-- One part bolts to the lower driver's side of the block, and it provides a cradle and pivot point for the pump housing.
-- The other bracket will bolt to the exhaust manifold front bolt or to the block, and it is the bolt that holds the pump in place after you rotate the pump and tension the belt.

I have pictures from the repair manual for my '75 with a long water pump, but you need the equivalent diagram for a short pump. My diagrams show slightly different brackets for SBC and BBC, so they aren't universal.

Bruce

#8 ·
Hey guys I thought I would post these pics as this might help identify things.

The engine is not from this car, but the pump did come with the car, so I think it should be the right one.

Can anybody tell me if these parts match eachother, and whether it's a long or a short arrangement?

#11 ·
I'll try and help if I can... first off I need the following info...

motor (350 chevy?)

Short or long water pump, look here:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/LONG-SandB-CHEVY-WATER-PUMP-ALUMINUM,1827.html

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Small-Block-Chevy-Short-Water-Pumps,1819.html

Next need to know where you are trying to mount the pump... there are several ways... head mount, hang off the w/p etc.

Do you have any parts to the system at all? pump, gear box,hoses?

What is your budget... is there junk yards in Australia wher you can get the parts?

Get this info and I'll see if I can help.

-=Fred=-

#12 ·
Hi there!

Thank you very much for your response.

I thought I would be able to identify from the pictures I had what one it was but I guess I will have to remove the pulley (the car isn't at my house).

If you look in the second photo you can see just on the right side of the photo there is two bolt holes which are fresh. My brother's car (he has a 1964 model Parisienne, I have a 63) has a bracket on it which bolts on here

I have the hoses coming from the rack, and also in the last phot, the pump that came with the car, which should be correct.

I've found brackets on eBay however I don't know which one I need...

Thanks so much for your input

#16 · (Edited)
No pictures yet, these are some part numbers to what may be the correct brackets-
'68 #3857871 Cradle Bracket (exc. 327/L79) ..................27.95 ea.
'68 3858872 Cradle Bracket - 327/L79 ..........................27.95 ea.
'68 #3878257 Adjuster Brace ..........................................18.95 ea.

Found them HERE. On page 10.

With those p/n's you may be able to find an image somewhere. A few are shown HERE.

This link shows a modification to the brackets to work w/headers: Click here.

The enlarged image is below.

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
hi there

ok, well the alt bracket on the cylinde rhead is not factory.

your best bet is going to get a complete matching set of alt and p/s brackets all from the same SWP sbc engine

72 was the last year for SWP on the trucks yes and were driver side alternator still

the pic of the p/s brackets you showed is the old swp style that reaches back to the engine mount
and this is how at least the trucks had them

cradle type pump brackets

the truck p/s pumps mounted very low

the pump in your pic is a SWP vintage pump and will work for the waterpump and vintage you have

here is a '69-72 chevy truck SWP lower cradle alternator bracket that bolts to the cylinder head with two of the three bolts in the end of the head:

the cast iron cradle bracket on this p/s pump is the 72-older style truck one, also same as found on the 79-older vans, they all bolt to the front two block bolts downlow by the freeze plug, the stamped steel bracket single bolt hole bolts to the front exh manifold bolt- but is meant for LWP 79 older vans with the below spark plug log style manifolds such as in the same pic. so just disregard it:

now this is for truck style SWP only

i dont know on the car style brackets., as they differ from trucks and changed many times over the SWP years.

so this is why you need to find brackets all from the same vehicle/engine with SWP, also pullies, so they will line up.

this is why when i junk vehicles i keep all parts like this in crates,

they come in handy often.

we could be here all year trying to find and post all the different SWP style p/s pump brackets gm used from 1955-72

theres just billions of them. you have to pic a donor vehicle/engine with swp style p/s and use those brackets/pullies

another thing i notice is that you have a '65-68 driver side ram horn exhaust manifold in which used a totally different, and stamped steel lower alternator bracket, i dont have a pic of one but you could still use a more common 69-72 iron lower bracket regardless

and your upper bracket is not a 65-68 one its more like a 69-72 truck one but not quite because it is bent- unlike the truck ones.

the 65-68 truck ones were longer and bolted to the front of the intake manifold and were always painted orange red.

must be from a car, as i do not recognize it.

i only know my trucks, so...

hope that helps.

#18 ·
Thanks fast68 for your very useful information.

My brother has the exact same car, so I can check some things from it, however from what I can see I need to;

- Get a new alternator bracket (apparently this engine was put into a Toyota 4WD before I got it.

I was thinking one of these

Alternator bracket 1

Or is this what I need?

Alternator bracket 2

- It also looks like on my harmonic balancer, I only have a single row pulley? So I'm guessing I also need one of these

Double row engine pulley

And then after that, one of these?

"Chev 350 power steer pump bracket"

Unfortunately that's a very vague description and unfortunately doesn't have a photo.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.