Hot Rod Forum banner

sbc Pro Comp vortec heads any good?

9K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  ap72 
#1 ·
I have a 76 sbc with RV cam, performer intake and carb.This motor new had a low CR,so looking to vortec style heads, but would like to keep my intake.I think Pro Comp aluminum heads will take my intake.Are these heads any good? I don't really care if it's aluminum,so if you can recommend a head,please do.From what I read today a dif cam might be better too.I won't be rev' g over 4000, just want a driver motor. Cisco.

#2 ·
Don't waste your money. You get what you pay for. If your just wanting a basic head to up the compression and give it more breatheable power upstairs then you the basic world S/R Torquer heads are for you. These are stock replacement heads that breathe better and have a smaller chamber to raise the compression ratio, you'll want to use them with a thin head gasket. Even if you install them and get it dialed in correctly regardless of whats been said it will still be sluggish until you get some gears in it.

#3 ·
In a word no I have never seen or heard of a set of.pro comps out the box being good they all need work if u do have get them I would not for any reason but if u do then buy them bare the pro comp parts also suck take them to a machine shop have everything checked and fixed have ports cleaned up and bowl work make sure check vavle guides and every bolt hole in them ive seen them where no two vavle set at the same height I wouldnt run them go with something you know is going be ok

#6 ·
This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.