sbc pulleys swap? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2010, 08:00 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

sbc small damper pulley confused?

i picked up a 4 bolt main motor out of a 68 chevy truck that is in great condition even after i tore it down the insides were super clean. there are two questions i have. the damper pulley on the motor is a lot smaller than the damper pulleys on other 350s i dont know if it was changed out and if it was why would it be smaller. and i have ran the numbers on the motor it is a 350 plus its a 4 bolt main. the other question i ahve is is there anywhere where i can get a diagram for the pulley bc the motor has none and i want to make sure i put the right ones on the right way.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 10:41 AM

Last photo:

They do make aftermarket undersized crank pulleys for less drag on the crank in hopes of gaining horsepower. A smaller pulley can turn the other pulleys easier but it also drops the speed that all the other pulleys spin at.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:27 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_cham
is there anywhere where i can get a diagram for the pulley bc the motor has none and i want to make sure i put the right ones on the right way.
You need to decide on whether you are going to use the "short" or "long" water pump set-up. They use different pulleys and brackets as well as different w/p.

DRAWINGS OF SHORT AND LONG PUMP

You can also use an OEM or aftermarket serpentine set-up, the w/p for that is reverse rotation, long style.

March, Jegs, Summit and others all sell pulleys but I would say to find what you need from the junkyard. Get ALL the pulleys, brackets, etc. from the SAME vehicle, and make note of what that vehicle make, model and year is, so you can get belts, etc. for it.

Last edited by cobalt327; 09-21-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:03 PM
More for Less Racer

There are also differences in crank pulley diameter due to performance(hp) level and rear axle gearing. Vehicles with deep rear axle gears 3.42/3.73/3.90/4.11 got smaller diameter crank pulleys to avoid overspeeding the accessories. Cars with lousy rear gears 2.41/2.56/2.73/3.08 got larger diameter crank pulley to make sure accessory speed will be high enough to avoid slow water flow(overheating) and low alternator output.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:06 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Oddly enough, 90 V6 Chevy 200cid and 229cid engines got underdriven crank and w/p pulleys- w/2.29:1 rear gears and AC.

The little V6 engines don't have any problems cooling, and a small alternator pulley takes care of charging.

I have used these pulley sets and just the smaller crank pulley on SBC engines through the years, but nowadays, finding a 90 V6 other than a 4.3L is all but impossible. But if you run across a set, grab them.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:48 AM

sbc pulleys swap?

i pulled my motor out of a 68 chevy truck but the only thing it has i sthe damper pulley. i was wandering if i could pull a set up off a 1980 chevy pick and place it on this motor replacing the damper pulley and everything take it complete from the 1980 chevy motor 350 and putting it on my 350. also if it was a 305 would it still work? just trying to save myself a little work from locating all the pulleys and getting them set up right i would rather just pull it off one motor and set it up on the other thanks for the help.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:59 AM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_cham
i pulled my motor out of a 68 chevy truck but the only thing it has i sthe damper pulley. i was wandering if i could pull a set up off a 1980 chevy pick and place it on this motor replacing the damper pulley and everything take it complete from the 1980 chevy motor 350 and putting it on my 350. also if it was a 305 would it still work? just trying to save myself a little work from locating all the pulleys and getting them set up right i would rather just pull it off one motor and set it up on the other thanks for the help.
Yes as long as you use the longer 69-up water pump that goes with the pulleys. You can't use the short 68-earlier pump with the later pulleys, things won't line up. Use the '80 powersteering brackets(if you need them) and alternator brackets also. 305 stuff is the same as 350.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:04 AM

great thanks youve been a big help and time saver i love this forum

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.