Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - SBC Question
Thread: SBC Question
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012, 12:24 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

SBC Question

I hope I can explain this in a way that is understandable.

I bought a new 350 GM bare block to replace a block that was bad. The bare block was missing a tube with a slight bend on it that goes into the block and sticks out a little into the oil pan area. This tube goes into the block, in the dipstick hole, before the dipstick tube goes in and it directs the dipstick into the proper position for correct alignment once the dipstick goes into the oil pan area.

Fortunately I had kept the bent tube from the bad block, but I'm not sure if I positioned the bend in the correct direction. I say this because I bought a cheap racing oil pan (IMCA) on Ebay and now I have to screw around with getting the dipstick through the hole in the windage tray even though I had enlarged that hole.

If you understand what bent tube I'm writing about then can you tell me which direction the bent part of the tube should be pointing? In other words, if you were standing at the opposite side of the block from where the tube goes in would the bent part of the tube be at the six o'clock position (pointing down) or some other position?

I need to know the answer on this tube because Im replacing the oil pan soon because it was so distorted I had to use a pipe clamp to align the bolt holes on one side when the other side was held in place by two bolts and it also leaks in the back, at the top, in the main bearing area.

With regard to the cheap oil pan . Lesson learned

Thanks.