Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - SBC rocker arm nuts
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 11:53 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudebakerTom View Post
As a newby to Chevy engine building, I'm not sure which way to seat the nuts on the rocker arms. Do they go tapered end down or flat side down, as I thread them in? I'm using a Haynes book and honestly, it's dreadfully written.
If you're using stock lock nuts, they use a disrupted thread on the rounded side (facing up, below), so getting the nut to start on the stud is nearly- if not completely- impossible, unless the nut is correctly orientated on the stud (flat side down, as said). Replace these lock nuts if they've been used much; the self locking function loosens w/use.

Self locking rocker nuts can do a number on aftermarket studs, so use polylocs when possible. In some cases polylocs cause clearance problems w/the valve cover so check first. Using a thick or doubled gasket will sometimes give enough clearance. Using polylocs on stock studs will not always work- the polylocs need an even surface for the set screw to register on, often stock studs are uneven on the top.

Last edited by cobalt327; 03-21-2013 at 12:04 AM.