SBC rocker arm/pushrod help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2011, 08:19 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

SBC rocker arm/pushrod help

I have about 100 miles on my new 327 ,it's about 10.5 to1.It just bent the pushrod on #8 exhaust valve.The motor has guide plates and every one is worn significantly by the pushrod but only on these valves-#2intake--#4exhaust--#6intake and #8exhaust.I am useing a mild hydraulic cam and lifters.Everything in the motor is new. I removed the guideplates because I don't have hardened pushrods and now the rocker arms won't stay centered on the end of the valve stems. They were doing that with the guideplates on as well.What am I missing? Please Help B.P.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 09:24 AM

Last photo:

Have the pushrod guide slots in the head been drilled out to allow the use of guideplates?
Old 09-26-2011, 09:37 AM

sbc pushrod help

the pushrod holes have not been drilled out to my knowledge,but wouldn't that create even more of a possibility of the PR's wandering? B.P.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:53 AM

sbc pusrod/rocker help

I just looked at the heads again,It looks like the pushrod holes in the heads HAVE bee drilled out for guideplates.I just got off the phone with Edelbrock Tech,they said I need to get the hardened push rods and replace the damaged guide plates.Thats no problem,but my question is Won;t an even harder metal push rod cause wear on the guideplates? B.P.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:27 AM

Last photo:

Edelbrock heads are setup to only run with a guide plate. Only hardened pushrods can be run with guide plates.
Usually the guideplates have some clearance around the rocker stud holes which allows a little adjustment of the plate to the valve tips.

What kind of rocker arms ?
Old 09-26-2011, 10:40 AM

sbc pusrod/rocker help

Thanks Imsport, The heads are 1970 cast iron camel humps with 194/150 and 62cc chambers. Im' useing stock stamped steel rockers(new).My cam is an Edel. Performer plus W/@440lift 212duration do you think I should use stock length and diameter pushrods? Thanks B.P. also do you normally have to widen the pushrod slot on new guideplates and do they normally rub or make contact.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:06 AM

guide plates

Sometimes the holes that hold guide plates in place are a loose fit and when you tighten studs down they pull off center when tightening studs. Use a pry bar to hold them square when tightening studs. Making sure pushrod is centered in slots. Sometimes you can swap them around to center slot.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:46 PM

sbc pusrod/rocker help

Gringo, Thanks thats helpful. I just got back from the speed shop with Comp Cams Magnum pushrods and new guide plates,I think I'm in good shape. HBB is awesome!!! Thanks everybody. Ballpeen
Old 09-26-2011, 01:05 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I have about 100 miles on my new 327 ,it's about 10.5 to1.It just bent the pushrod on #8 exhaust valve.The motor has guide plates and every one is worn significantly by the pushrod but only on these valves-#2intake--#4exhaust--#6intake and #8exhaust.I am useing a mild hydraulic cam and lifters.Everything in the motor is new. I removed the guideplates because I don't have hardened pushrods and now the rocker arms won't stay centered on the end of the valve stems. They were doing that with the guideplates on as well.What am I missing? Please Help B.P.
A guide is necessary to keep the rocker tracking on the valve stem. There are two ways of going about this:

1) Self guiding rockers, these use a raised feature to either side of the rocker contact point on the valve stem to keep the rocker aligned to the stem. No other device or built in guide can be used without risking binding the assembly of push rod, rocker, valve stem with this set up. This is a common factory set up on all SBCs since the mid 1980s, heads for these engines have no other mechanism except the L98 and LT1/4 which have a very loose stamped guide to assist with production assembly. A hardened push rod is not required with self guided rockers. Self guided rockers are available in both sliding foot and roller tip versions.

2) Engines older than 1985, perhaps more specifically their heads, use either a cast guide where the push rod passes from the valley into the head's rocker box for ordinary production engines. High performance engines used a separate stamped guide that fastens under screwed in rocker studs. Hot rod aftermarket heads also use this method. When employed (especially on factory heads with cast guides) the cast guide is eliminated, the stud boss is milled down and tapped for the screw in stud.

- All engines using guides whether cast or stamped must use a hardened push rod.

- When using stamped guides on a head with cast guides the cast guide must be drilled out, there's a tool sold for this purpose.

- When using a high lift cam, it is likely that the guide whether cast or stamped will need to be clearanced in the manifold's direction (across the head width) for additional movement of the push rod. This movement is more exaggerated if the push rod is not the correct length. Aftermarket heads, high lift cams, milling of the block deck and or head, performing a valve job with re-used valves and seats, using extended length valve stems or lash caps are some of the things that greatly affect the push rod length. So a length checker is always required when mixing, matching, and modified or non production parts are used.

- Sheet metal guides often require modification and massaging to get the proper fit, between their manufacturing tolerances and major machined part tolerances, often things just don't line up without doing some cutting and welding of the stamped guides to get proper alignment and clearances. Isky sells a two piece guide specifically for this problem.

This is all stuff you'll have to go over to be sure things line up and don't bind.

Bogie
Old 09-26-2011, 01:10 PM

sbc pusrod/rocker help

Bogie,I printed that one out!! Many thanks B.P.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:06 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Regarding pushrod length, this needs to be checked by using an adjustable pushrod. There are other tools to check the length, but an adjustable pushrod is what I use.

There are several threads here on this. HERE is one of them.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.