SBC running too cold need some advice - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2012, 07:08 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

SBC running too cold need some advice

Hello guys I am having just a minor problem and my chevy s10 with a 350 sbc is running to cold for winter wise. It's running only about 150 to 160 degrees and I am trying to get it up to 180 at the very least but can't get it up to there. What I have for a cooling system is a aftermarket aluminum radiator two row pass through design with a high flow non restrictive 180 degree thermostat and am running a aftermarket flex fan that spins all the time and sits very close to my radiator with only about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch clearance so it does pull good air.

The truck runs excellent in the summer time with about a 190 degree temperature but since old man winter is here its only been about 30 plus degrees outside. I have taken cardboard and cut out a chunk and currently it covers half my radiator and I have a small piece on the other side.

I don't want to have to change to a 195 stat as it might help in winter but will make engine run to hot in summer and I don't want to have to keep changing it every season either.

Any suggestions? I don't know if it would be good to cover that much more of my radiator as I am not an expert on cooling systems. Thanks guys for any input. Take care
Eric

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 07:40 AM
JS-70

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric32
Hello guys I am having just a minor problem and my chevy s10 with a 350 sbc is running to cold for winter wise. It's running only about 150 to 160 degrees and I am trying to get it up to 180 at the very least but can't get it up to there. What I have for a cooling system is a aftermarket aluminum radiator two row pass through design with a high flow non restrictive 180 degree thermostat and am running a aftermarket flex fan that spins all the time and sits very close to my radiator with only about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch clearance so it does pull good air.

The truck runs excellent in the summer time with about a 190 degree temperature but since old man winter is here its only been about 30 plus degrees outside. I have taken cardboard and cut out a chunk and currently it covers half my radiator and I have a small piece on the other side.

I don't want to have to change to a 195 stat as it might help in winter but will make engine run to hot in summer and I don't want to have to keep changing it every season either.

Any suggestions? I don't know if it would be good to cover that much more of my radiator as I am not an expert on cooling systems. Thanks guys for any input. Take care
Eric
Years ago we would put a piece of cardboard over the rad. Kindof like NASCAR, putting tape on the grille.
As we always say on this forum though, Check your gauge with another known gauge. Where is your sender? up by tsata housing or in side of cylinder head that makes a difference. What abour heat? Do you have good heat coming from heater core? because if it is only running 150 your inside heat will be weak.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:47 AM

Last photo:

Hello yes my gauge is working fine as it was just put in a few months ago and also its in the cylinder head and I do have decent heat coming from my heater. I can get it close to 170 but my truck has to be running for around an hour or so going through traffic but after I get on highway it goes back down. I will just add more cardboard and see if it helps. I just don't know if its safe to cover most of your radiator or not as I have not done this before I just have seen people do it.
Eric
Old 01-06-2012, 08:22 AM

Last photo:

Doesn't hurt to cover the rad if you do it right. You can use cardboard but have you looked into a winter grille cover.
http://www.cabelas.com/auto-grill-gu...covers-1.shtml
Old 01-06-2012, 09:04 AM

Last photo:

Hello thanks for the tip I will look into but for meen time cardboard is my option at moment till I get more funds. I will try to make something different out of my cardboard and see if I can get it right. Trial and error for now.
Thanks
Eric
Old 01-06-2012, 09:53 AM

Last photo:

If you use cardboard don't cover just half. Make it full size with a circle cut in the middle. About 1 foot wide should do. If you cover just one side then you can cause stress on your fan blades as they rotate past the uncovered side. Blades will vibrate and stress cracks can develope.
I found that out the hard way. The blade made a nice hole in my hood.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:00 PM

Last photo:

Hello thanks for the tip that does make sense I will make a whole new piece and cut out a circle in the middle about 1 foot as you said. I did some research and turns out using a high flow thermostat will cause this sort of thing in the winter time as it has three bypass holes in the stat itself and allows a good amount of coolant before its even open all the way. I will have to make a stat change to a regular stant super stat and that should get rid of my over cooling. Others have had the same issue as me with there engines running only 150 to 160 degrees and changing to a higher temp high flow stat did not help till they put in a regular thermostat. So when I get some time I will change it out and see how it does.
Thanks guys
Eric
Old 01-06-2012, 05:06 PM

Last photo:

My '71 Vette with a 355 has the same problem. I keep 2 of those cardboard Fedex envelopes on front of the radiator. I adjust them so the engine stays around 205-210. Without them, it hardly reaches 160 on the chilly days.

BTW - I can drive it in traffic in Palm Springs at 110*

Never overheats. I have a really big clutch fan - 19" and HD clutch, factory Vette rad and shroud, Edelbrock Victor water pump, robertshaw hi-flow 180* thermo, and an 18psi cap.
The head heat risers are also blocked [my Dart heads don't have them]
Old 01-06-2012, 06:19 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

If you don't have a need for a cold thermostat run a 195 degree stat. Its better all around for a street car.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:11 PM

Last photo:

Yeah I am using cardboard for now but I got a stant super stat which is not a high flow like the one I got now and that should help a lot as two years ago I had a regular stant stat in it and it ran fine during winter and I did not need any card board in front of my radiator.

The reason I went to the high flow stat was because the regular stat even though it was rated at 180 it did not open sometimes till almost 200 degrees which I did not care for. I just remembered that the other day when I could not figure out why it ran fine the past two winters and I was trying to remember what I did different.

Some times it seemed like it sticked but from reading the superstat will allow a little bit of flow but not too much during warm up when it starts to open and it is supposed to open withing a few degrees of the temp its rated for and allows quicker warm ups and also regulates flow better then a regular stat and will keep it from cycling to much.

I will test it before I install it and will be drilling a small 3/16 hole so it can burp any pressure bubbles out.
Thanks guys
Eric
Old 01-07-2012, 04:41 PM

You could take the fan off till summer, I know it sounds drastic but it works really well.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:36 PM

Last photo:

Hello guys great new for now I took out my high flow 180 mr gasket thermostat and put in a regular stant super 180 thermostat with a 1/8 hole drilled on the side and it now runs about 180 to 190 with no cardboard on my radiator so now its running fine and warm for now. When summer comes hopefully it will still run the same temp and keep cool at 190 and no more then that but we will see. It took a while to still get warm but once it did it never got below 180 highway or town. Thanks guys for the tips all was appreciated.
Eric
Old 01-13-2012, 08:15 PM

Last photo:

I had the same problem with the Mr. Gasket Hi-flow thermostat. Going back to a Stant solved my problem also.

John
Old 01-15-2012, 12:12 PM

Last photo:

Hello johntn thanks for the info appreciated. Just out of curiosity did your engine still run cool enough during the hot summer months with no issues of overheating or anything? Mine ran fine with the mr gasket thermostat during the summer with no problems but using a regular type stat I am hoping to does not get too hot during the summer months. It ran 190 at the most during 90 plus degree days even in traffic. I don't want it to get over 200. I guess we will see not much I can do as I can't run the high flow ones way too cold for winter. Thanks
Eric
Old 01-15-2012, 12:39 PM

Last photo:

take off the fan.

install a cheap electric fan up front mounted on a switch for warmer days.

The heater will most likely keep the engine cool.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.