SBC in S-10 chassis - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 12:17 PM

Last journal entry: cont. photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

SBC in S-10 chassis

I now have a clean frame , bare CM pads and have dropped my motor-trans into place . Approx 1 " clearance pan to CM but worried about various clearances . Mostly stock exaust manifolds to upper A arms-bushing , otherwise I can rig the mounts I have and start tying it down . I dont mind fabbing a new trans mount.....T350 but Im not certain if the motor should be higher , lower ....forward or back ... tilted more level etc Any help would be appriciated . The body will be a 34 chevy truck and flatbed so once the motor is " IN " I can begin to fit and cuss . Yeah ! I never planned on the Power aspect of this match , but am learning that itll fly ! Well , thats cool too !!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 12:22 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

They put big block's in these trucks.. I would buy the right mount's.. Just as easy as making them..Are you going to be running fenders on this truck ??? If not they look funny with these types of frames under them... So much easier to build a new frame.... But it's your choice..Post some pictures..
Old 01-16-2013, 03:03 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by vothtrucks View Post
I now have a clean frame , bare CM pads and have dropped my motor-trans into place . Approx 1 " clearance pan to CM but worried about various clearances . Mostly stock exaust manifolds to upper A arms-bushing , otherwise I can rig the mounts I have and start tying it down . I dont mind fabbing a new trans mount.....T350 but Im not certain if the motor should be higher , lower ....forward or back ... tilted more level etc Any help would be appriciated . The body will be a 34 chevy truck and flatbed so once the motor is " IN " I can begin to fit and cuss . Yeah ! I never planned on the Power aspect of this match , but am learning that itll fly ! Well , thats cool too !!
This guide should answer all your questions......
JTR Chevrolet S-10 Truck V-8 Conversion
Old 01-16-2013, 05:48 PM

Last photo:

Sbc- s-10

My question seems to get passed over through 3 hours of links , sites , blogs and forums . I keep seeing ...before I put the motor in to look at what its like with this motor in . Thanks for the input but no one as yet has told me the approx. distance the pan should be from the crossmember . The SBC needs to be back, or forward of the original mounts . Any way , Im usually impatient so I just spent the day putting my engine in my chassis , taking into consideration all movement/ clearance issues . I cant afford to buy this and that or build a whole new frame , etc. It may be easier but I have to work with what I have . When guys get to a bottleneck with a project and you have the " purchase/build answer , just pretend you are going to buy the needed items yourself..... then help figure a way through with the poor guys available parts/funds . Im certain I wont be too popular after this , but for all of us " making do " builders , if one dude alters his reply and really helps solve a problem , Itll be worth it !
Old 01-16-2013, 05:57 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Good Luck..
Old 01-16-2013, 06:11 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
My question seems to get passed over through 3 hours of links , sites , blogs and forums . I keep seeing ...before I put the motor in to look at what its like with this motor in . Thanks for the input but no one as yet has told me the approx. distance the pan should be from the crossmember . The SBC needs to be back, or forward of the original mounts . Any way , Im usually impatient so I just spent the day putting my engine in my chassis , taking into consideration all movement/ clearance issues . I cant afford to buy this and that or build a whole new frame , etc. It may be easier but I have to work with what I have . When guys get to a bottleneck with a project and you have the " purchase/build answer , just pretend you are going to buy the needed items yourself..... then help figure a way through with the poor guys available parts/funds . Im certain I wont be too popular after this , but for all of us " making do " builders , if one dude alters his reply and really helps solve a problem , Itll be worth it !
Do you think I get paid to spend the day on here helping you guys?????? Hell no I don't. It's just my way of helping the new load of hotrodders to get started in the hobby. If you don't have enough sense to try what I suggest, then you'll just have to muddle along and make your own mistakes, mistakes that I have already made and that I'm trying to help you avoid. You don't even have the common courtesy to thank you.

Now, stand up and act like a man, drop your attitude and click the "Check Out" box here.....
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we...c469a145272506
The Following User Says Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 07:38 PM

Last photo:

Hell no I dont get paid to help you guys !

Thank you so much for the help you sent my way via a website address . I was hoping some guy like me , one that had struggled to do what I am doing, would have answered my plea and dropped a few simple answers, thereby moving me forward in the process . I am going to imagine that you had a bad day and that " babysitting you losers that dont jump at my every advice " is not the case . I do appriciate your assistance sir , but its not as if all advice is appropriate for the task . You are valuable , Im certain , to many guys like me , struggling but moving forward . Now , you stand up like a man and reread my post ! It was intended to further the site , not upbraid you personally . 70 ? Really ?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:14 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thank you so much for the help you sent my way via a website address . I was hoping some guy like me , one that had struggled to do what I am doing, would have answered my plea and dropped a few simple answers, thereby moving me forward in the process . I am going to imagine that you had a bad day and that " babysitting you losers that dont jump at my every advice " is not the case . I do appriciate your assistance sir , but its not as if all advice is appropriate for the task . You are valuable , Im certain , to many guys like me , struggling but moving forward . Now , you stand up like a man and reread my post ! It was intended to further the site , not upbraid you personally . 70 ? Really ?
Yes, 70, really. Been there, done that, been there, done that, been there, done that over and over and over again. Even if someone had dropped a few simple answers, you would be back on here tomorrow looking for the answer to another problem that arose. My intent was to get you all the answers in one place at one time. I've been doing engine swaps and frame swaps and building independent front suspensions from scratch for over 50 years and every one of them has been different and challenging. The author of the book I recommended has taken into consideration every possible scenario of putting a SBC into an S10 and you can take advantage of that very complete knowledge for only a few sheckels.

Yeah, I get a little irritated when I supply the correct answer and the recipient seems unappreciative. I'm funny that way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (01-17-2013), Valkyrie5.7 (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 02:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Tech gave you the best answer which is buy a copy of this from JTR JTR Chevrolet S-10 Truck V-8 Conversion and you might as well add V8 TPI & TPI Engine Swap, JTR V8 conversion manual because it carries on a deeply related conversation that actually contains a lot of basic data for the conversion whether you're using an older carb engine and transmission or the newer EFI and overdrive trannys with lock up converters.

Installtion kits that are somewhat different approaches from JTR can be found at Jegs, Summit and other hot rod shops, there is a whole blog site devoted to this at V8S10Forum V8 Discussion - S-10 Forum

However, I would hesitate to go down any commited path at this point on engine location as most of the data is oriented to fitting the V8 into S10/15 body locations. I've not done a swap of a late 40's early 50's style body onto the S10/15 frame so I don't know if getting around the sheetmetal is the same dimensional problem as it is with the complete S10/15.

In general with an S10/15 swap where the body is used; the engine needs to be set back an inch or so to clear the radiator. From the mount position for the original I4 and V6 it will actaully relocate the mount forward to meet the V8 position on the block but the complete engine will actually move toward the firewall. For the stock transmission crossmember the net aft movement isn't all that much, so the slots of the mounting platform need only to be elongated rearward, this is usually sufficient. While this gets the V8 engine and tranny into the frame so it will mostly clear the S10/15 engine crossmember, steering linkage and sheetmetal with only minor doctoring, I do not know what the clearances will be for the old model body clearances and how that may affect where things need to be for this. There's plenty of disscussion boards out there on this subject.

Bogie

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.