SBC single piece oil pan gasket installation - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 06:09 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

SBC single piece oil pan gasket installation

I'm in a situation where I am replacing the oil pan on a 260 Hp Mercruiser (SBC). Basically, the engine will be raised out of the hold to above the deck and the oil pan will be changed at that point.

I am planning on using a single piece rubber oil pan gasket (to make the job easier than fussing with the traditional 4 piece gasket), but have a question.

With cork, I usually tighten everything up, and then re-tighten 24 hours later as the cork compresses. Also, the pan bolts usually pick up a bit of gasket sealer as they screw in, so they won't work loose.

I am assuming the 1-piece gasket goes on dry, and once compressed a bit, no further re-tightening will be required.

So...should I put it on dry and once on, remove a bolt, add a drop of blue loctite, and then re-install the bolt. Then move to the next one, and so on, until they are all loctited?

Any suggestions?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2012, 06:39 PM

Last photo:

Quality one piece pan gaskets have grommets molded into the gasket to prevent over torquing the gasket. No loctite is required.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:51 PM

Last photo:

Ahhh... I didn't know that. I can sort of picture it though as I've had Holley to Intake gaskets like that.

Guess I'll research it a bit more. So far I've found these three, but will have to re-check and see if any of them have the "grommets".

Mallory 9-61507

Fel-Pro 17983

Sierra 18-1235

Thank-you for the reply.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:42 AM

Last photo:

I have a one piece on my motor and have reused it 3 times. When I install it, I put a bead of The Right Stuff around the rear main cap and timing cover. In the area where the seal rests. I also put some in the corners between the main cap and bock, and the timing cover and the block. On my engine, I have 2 pan bolts that I have to seal with The Right Stuff. Who knows why? They just weep a little oil...I believe my pan gasket is a Felpro, and it does have bushings in each of the bolt holes to prevent over torquing.

Keith
Old 05-10-2012, 09:47 AM

Last photo:

Thank-you. Looks like at least the Fel-Pro gasket has "inserts" from the description (see below).

By the way, I used "The Right Stuff" for the first time a short while back. Used it to bolt up an oil pan to my FE. Needed two gaskets as I was using a windage tray. The stuff hardened up very fast and I was worried it might leak, but it's held extremely well. No leaks.

Not sure if I cna use it for this boat gasket or not, as it will take some time to get it done as even raised up, it will be a bit of a pain to work on.

From Fel-Pro:

Fel-Pro PermaDryPlus oil pan gaskets leverage advanced technologies designed to seal problem leaks in a variety of current and older engine applications and are designed for ease of application.

Fel-Pro PermaDryPlus oil pan gaskets feature one-piece construction and include oil pan SnapUps™ where needed.

A rigid composite or aluminized steel carrier ensures a quick fit and easy installation, while the edge-molded silicone rubber eliminates many common leak paths. These gaskets also incorporate built-in compression limiters to prevent overtorquing. This design also provides superior resistance to blowouts.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.