SBC Starter Bolt Pattern, Patterns? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2006, 11:22 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

SBC Starter Bolt Pattern, Patterns?

How many starter bolt patterns are there for a SBC? I know there is a 2 bolt inline pattern and a staggered 2 bolt pattern and I have 3 threaded holes in my block. I have also heard about a 3 hole mount iron nose. Is this what the 3 holes are for? Or are the blocks with 3 holes capable of using either the 2 bolt inline mount OR the staggered mount both with 2 bolts?

I have a staggered mount starter on my SBC. I have put headers on this motor and bought a staggered pattern mini that is changeable to only 3 positions, none of which will work unless I want my positive terminal touching my header, that would be bad...... There are a lot more positions available with the inline mount type mini's. Will an inline work with this threaded hole in my block that looks like it never was used before? 63ChevyII.........Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2006, 11:41 PM

Last journal entry: changes
Last photo:

sbc's are set up for either inline mount or staggered mount starters. you could switch to the inline mount easily if it would give you better clearance. the three bolt starters are for some manual transmissions, in which the starter bolts directly to the bellhousing, and not the block at all. hope that helps...
Old 04-21-2006, 11:56 PM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossChevy62
the three bolt starters are for some manual transmissions, in which the starter bolts directly to the bellhousing, and not the block at all...

u are correct but also wrong, there is a 3 bolt starter that bolts to the block also. i know because i have one on my shelf in my garage, but NORMALLY chevy does use only 2 of the 3 bolt holes...joe
Old 04-22-2006, 12:09 AM

Last journal entry: changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMany2count
u are correct but also wrong, there is a 3 bolt starter that bolts to the block also. i know because i have one on my shelf in my garage, but NORMALLY chevy does use only 2 of the 3 bolt holes...joe
hmm, I've never come across one of those, but now I know... thanks for the info
Old 07-13-2010, 07:28 PM

3 bolt starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMany2count
what year is that? ive got the same one and im having trouble getting parts.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

4-year old thread. so your engine is chevy?

Cole
Old 07-13-2010, 11:15 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottnaidan
what year is that? ive got the same one and im having trouble getting parts.
Scott, would you be so kind as to show a photo of that starter, especially the nose?

Thanks.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:45 PM

Last photo:

the staggered holes are for 168 tooth flywheel(flexplate) straight across for 153 tooth.I think they make the mini strters to fit either
Old 05-08-2011, 01:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloc431962
4-year old thread. so your engine is chevy?

Cole
I don't get your first sentence.

People always complain about lack of search function use, this guy obviously did but that's not good enough because the thread is old?

That's not helpful.

I have a question to others:

Could my 1957 283 be a 3 bolt engine mounted starter block and if so where to buy a starter? I've got a straight dual pattern mini starter with a 153 flywheel and it ain't lining up.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQ81
I don't get your first sentence.

People always complain about lack of search function use, this guy obviously did but that's not good enough because the thread is old?

That's not helpful.

I have a question to others:....
Not only is the original post 4 years old, your rant is to posters from over 10 months ago, he was only making a point, relax. Searching answers is what the data base is for, replying to one is, well.....a stab in the dark.

Did you try the search function for your question addressed to "others"?

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 05-08-2011, 01:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68NovaSS
Not only is the original post 4 years old, your rant is to posters from over 10 months ago, he was only making a point, relax. Searching answers is what the data base is for, replying to one is, well.....a stab in the dark.

Did you try the search function for your question addressed to "others"?
I'm very relaxed.

Questions get asked because people commonly will not report the resolution of their problem, which in turn makes the search function less effective.

Yes I did search, but thanks for checking.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:41 PM

I hope this old forum is ok -- the name seems very appropriate and I can't think of a better new one.

I have two questions about sbc starter bolt patterns. I have a tyx 1975 350 truck engine that someone replaced a 6cyl with. The starter seemed slow so I investigated and found that the 3 bolt bell-housing starter was held in with only one bolt. The bolt hole in the housing at the top is intact but too big and not threaded. There seems to be enough room for a nut on the other side. The other boss is broken. What would happen if I drilled out the starter hole and used a bigger bolt and nut?

I have been thinking of getting a geared starter for various odd reasons -- it is a low compression engine. I don't have headers and will probably try to make a custom exhaust system in the distant future. I notice that pictures of these starters have two columns of bolt holes. I don't see where these would mount unless there is a flange at right angles to the crank on some engines. My engine has a flat horizontal surface above the starter and two holes and a small hole and a big hole. Does this mean my only other option is a starter with a top mount?
Old 09-21-2012, 03:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwoolley View Post
I hope this old forum is ok -- the name seems very appropriate and I can't think of a better new one.

I have two questions about sbc starter bolt patterns. I have a tyx 1975 350 truck engine that someone replaced a 6cyl with. The starter seemed slow so I investigated and found that the 3 bolt bell-housing starter was held in with only one bolt. The bolt hole in the housing at the top is intact but too big and not threaded. There seems to be enough room for a nut on the other side. The other boss is broken. What would happen if I drilled out the starter hole and used a bigger bolt and nut?

I have been thinking of getting a geared starter for various odd reasons -- it is a low compression engine. I don't have headers and will probably try to make a custom exhaust system in the distant future. I notice that pictures of these starters have two columns of bolt holes. I don't see where these would mount unless there is a flange at right angles to the crank on some engines. My engine has a flat horizontal surface above the starter and two holes and a small hole and a big hole. Does this mean my only other option is a starter with a top mount?
Most starter motors nowadays acomadate al the different types of bolt holes chevy used though the years. So you have 4 holes to cover the diferent types.

I don't get if you have a v8 or a 6cyl? I don't know much about 6cyl starters..
Old 09-21-2012, 08:43 PM

Sorry, bad grammar. The truck appears to originally have had a 6 but someone put in the tyx 350.

I see now that I have been looking at the pictures wrong.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.