sbc starter bolts - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-17-2012, 08:45 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: coles point,va
Posts: 28
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sbc starter bolts

Hello, If you don't use the knurled starter bolts will starter bind up and turn slow like we use to call( dragging) in the old days ,Michael

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-17-2012, 10:54 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 6,750
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4
Thanked 417 Times in 360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieman View Post
Hello, If you don't use the knurled starter bolts will starter bind up and turn slow like we use to call( dragging) in the old days ,Michael
No, the stater will jerk around on the bolts and eventually bust the outboard portion of the block's starter mounting boss. It takes a little while but it does render the block to junk when it happens, there is no suitable repair process, many have tried, all have failed.

Bogie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: near Yellowstone park
Posts: 4,262
Wiki Edits: 27

Thanks: 11
Thanked 247 Times in 232 Posts
nose broke

Out farm forklift was made from a chevy truck. the SBC is way too much power ! ! Someone used the wrong bolts and It broke the Aluminum casting on the starter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-17-2012, 05:48 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 176
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie View Post
No, the stater will jerk around on the bolts and eventually bust the outboard portion of the block's starter mounting boss. It takes a little while but it does render the block to junk when it happens, there is no suitable repair process, many have tried, all have failed.

Bogie
My builder repaired a cracked starter mount boss (outer one) on my 350 sbc. I have not fired it yet but have a lot of money into the build. His repair looks good and the guy knows what he's doing. Please tell me that it wont snap again once put into service. That would suck! I'm using a mini hp starter with staggered bolts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-17-2012, 06:33 PM
Silver Surfer's Avatar
More machine than man
 

Last journal entry: bwaahhaahahaaahhaa
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kansas City, MO
Age: 36
Posts: 801
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 91
Thanked 60 Times in 50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatPin View Post
My builder repaired a cracked starter mount boss (outer one) on my 350 sbc. I have not fired it yet but have a lot of money into the build. His repair looks good and the guy knows what he's doing. Please tell me that it wont snap again once put into service. That would suck! I'm using a mini hp starter with staggered bolts.
Please post a pic of the repair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-18-2012, 05:53 AM
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: near Yellowstone park
Posts: 4,262
Wiki Edits: 27

Thanks: 11
Thanked 247 Times in 232 Posts
support brace ?

It's Best to Always use the starter support brace. I don't know if the factory brace will work on with your Mini starter. The forklift did not have one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 176
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
It's painted and installed now. Hard to get a picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 6,750
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4
Thanked 417 Times in 360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatPin View Post
My builder repaired a cracked starter mount boss (outer one) on my 350 sbc. I have not fired it yet but have a lot of money into the build. His repair looks good and the guy knows what he's doing. Please tell me that it won’t snap again once put into service. That would suck! I'm using a mini hp starter with staggered bolts.
I usually go to don't do things that bust it because it can't be repaired just to head people off from doing things to break the ear in the first place.

Yes I know it can be fixed, I also know that finding someone that has the ability to do this successfully is about 1 in 100 of automotive machine shops and after that the success rate by a highly competent welder/machinist is about 50%. So the odds are stacked against you, big time. Sometimes if the cracking isn't too bad the ear can be cross drilled and bolted as a repair, but events that allow aren't very common. Another method is to drill through, install a threaded rod and nut or braze the rod in to the hole. There used to be an adapter plate that went between the bell housing and block which allowed the use of the 1955 and some industrial starters that bolted in horizontally like a Ford does on some models. No matter which solution you pick, it's a lot of work and more likely than not will require the engine be removed and perhaps disassembled. So the simple solution is to use the bolts the OEM requires.

So it's just way better not to make the errors that lead to this problem in the first place. Plus as was suggested by timothale the starter, if using the big older model, must have the brace that connects the brush side of the motor back to the block. The mini-starters do not require this.

Bogie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2012, 12:26 PM
Banned User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2011
Location: N.E.
Posts: 385
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 9
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
X3! Yes, definitely use the brace; If you're not using one, have someone start the engine while you watch the starter. i think you'll be pretty surprised at what happens. That's why you need the brace.

i think the knurled bolts should also be used to prevent any movement or shifting of the starter. The bolt holes themselves are pretty "soft" and if you have to change the starter a few times they may strip, but these can be repaired rather easy and well with heli-coils. But that's different than having the whole mounting boss crack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 176
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie View Post
Yes I know it can be fixed, I also know that finding someone that has the ability to do this successfully is about 1 in 100 of automotive machine shops and after that the success rate by a highly competent welder/machinist is about 50%.
Well hopefully my guy knows what he is doing. He is somewhat of a legend in these parts for engine building. Mostly Ford though. His name is Larry Kalsch.

Mine was not cracked clean off it just had a stress fracture that you could see in it once the block had been cleaned up. Once the repair was made it looked solid. It looked like the weld repair penetrated in very deep and I never actually asked him how he did it.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a started brace for a mini starter or do they even exist? Is a mini starter less likely to provide the amount of torque it would take to crack that boss again? It seems like the heavier the starter the more impact that would be put on the boss, but I'm just guessing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2012, 05:41 PM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 59
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 597 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatPin View Post
Well hopefully my guy knows what he is doing. He is somewhat of a legend in these parts for engine building. Mostly Ford though. His name is Larry Kalsch.

Mine was not cracked clean off it just had a stress fracture that you could see in it once the block had been cleaned up. Once the repair was made it looked solid. It looked like the weld repair penetrated in very deep and I never actually asked him how he did it.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a started brace for a mini starter or do they even exist? Is a mini starter less likely to provide the amount of torque it would take to crack that boss again? It seems like the heavier the starter the more impact that would be put on the boss, but I'm just guessing.
No braces are sold for mini starters as far as I know.

If it totally fails you can use an adapter to mount the starter instead of to the block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
starter bolts wayneooo Engine 6 06-16-2010 05:46 AM
mini starter bolts loosening up wayneooo Engine 4 06-13-2010 01:04 PM
What starter bolts do I need for a SBC 400? 87SS Engine 7 06-22-2008 10:37 AM
Ford Starter Bolts.. hwyhog Engine 2 04-18-2006 02:16 PM
Broken ear where starter bolts in Circus Engine 15 02-06-2004 11:13 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.