SBC, starter,flex-plate problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2001, 12:28 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post SBC, starter,flex-plate problems

hey,this web site is great,very good job all.327 ci strong hi-compression,350 trans. I cann't

keep starters in this set-up.Went with a power master hi torque starter 168 tooth flex-plate.No shims straight bolt pattern starter correct gear clearance.starter drive gear travels about 3/4 inch,only engageing alittle better than 1/2 way on
to flex-plate? worked most the time sometimes not engageing and grinding. has gotten worst,starter drive shot,flex-plate bad.i can repair starter,I can buy a new flex-plate.will i have same problems
what can or should be done? thanks mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2001, 09:18 PM

I would be willing to bet if you change flex plates and repair your starter you will have the same problem. Does the drive go to the end of the nose on the starter when its on the car? If not I would drop the starter down with shims and try it.If that does'nt work then there has to be a miss match of parts.By the way I lived in cr for 20yrs,spent alot of time on 1st ave.
Old 12-17-2001, 04:55 PM

[quote]Originally posted by liquid_larry:
<strong>I would be willing to bet if you change flex plates and repair your starter you will have the same problem. Does the drive go to the end of the nose on the starter when its on the car? If not I would drop the starter down with shims and try it.If that does'nt work then there has to be a miss match of parts.By the way I lived in cr for 20yrs,spent alot of time on 1st ave.</strong><hr></blockquote>
Old 12-17-2001, 05:46 PM

thanks larry, wow first ave,memories,did it in the late 60's & 70's., dang wish i was still their.I think your'e right or close.pulled trans & flex-plate got better look,plate gears worst than i though. i'm hoping new flex plate is cure.the starter drive can only travel as far as i mentioned; pulling it out with screw driver.engaging it to start it's not traveling 1/4 the way on to flex- plate.hopefully because of bad meshing of flex-plate gears and wear.probable cause all along? I'll e-mail you we may know each other, first ave forever, thanks
Old 12-17-2001, 11:59 PM

I had that exact problem with a 327 truck engine . I will tell you what worked for me and it worked the first time . I had a friend that worked at a dealership 30 years tell me this . Go buy a 396 , 427 type big block starter with the cast iron head , it has 3 bolt holes , only 2 will line up on your engine but the starter was designed to run on just 2 , it has both straight and cross bolt patterns . Replace your flywheel with another 168 tooth wheel , make sure you have the starter to block brace bolted on too . The Big block starter is pitched slightly different and will compensate for a shallow cut engine block that is commom on some late small journal and early large journal 327 engines . It was pitched slightly different because big blocks needed the extra torque and sometimes kicked back . No other aluminum starter will fix the problem , I tried several starters and flex combinations before I listened to an old fart that really did know it all ,, as far as chevrolet engines went . I hope this helps .

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.