Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - sbc starter selonoid "r" wire Confusion
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2005, 01:55 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Well, I just got back from checking a few things. While underneath the car, I had someone turn the key to try and start it. The bendix comes out and meshes into the flywheel gears about 1/4 of the way.

I also used a multi meter to test the voltage at the sylenoid ( ignition wire ), during an attempt to start it up, and the voltage on the sylenoid terminal is showing 4.1 volts. Shouldn't this be much higher?

I tested the Main Positive terminal on the starter (+ from battery down to the starter and on the starter end it does read 12.4volts, so I believe that is as it should be.

I also tested the wire that is no longer being used that came from the "r" side of the solenoid when attempting to start it up and it's also showing closer to 3 Volts. When the key is on this wire has continuous power so i'm sure my wires are correct.

I'll head back and drop the car to the ground, and I'll sqweeze in there and cross the starter to see if it will fire. I belive it will having 12Volts opposed to 4. Thanks.

Thanks. I'll give that a try here today as that's about the only thing i haven't tried yet.