Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - sbc starter selonoid "r" wire Confusion
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2005, 07:09 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks again for all your input.

OK, this is what i found.

1. Jumping the starter worked , and turned the motor over no problem, so I assume my ground is good.

2. Ignition switch ( at the key ), the hot actually has 12Volts to it.

3. The Purple Wire coming out of the ignition switch has about 9 Volts (when turnign the car in cranking position) and is the wire that goes to the Solenoid. . Will that be sufficient ? If 9Volts is not going to work out, I assume i do need to replace the Ignition switch. However, Here is where the bigger problems come into play.

Next, the Purple wire splits into a stock plastic like wire harness or whatever you want to call itat the firewall, and from one side of the firewall to the other, i am losing a few volts. It's reading 6.5 Volts ( not in the car underneath the dash, , but on the other side of the firewall out at the engine compartment). The connectors are old and aged, but not rusted in any way. Then i have 2 other splices that i must be losing a bit of Voltage as well, causing only 4 Volts by the time it reaches the solenoid.
would i be better offto run a entire new wire from my ignition switch all the way to the Solenoid?

Last edited by desavedo; 09-17-2005 at 07:26 PM.