Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Sbc street motor ETs
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 11:57 PM
471A

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

3100 pound 1929 A sedan, serves as a grocery getter when needed, and runs a best of 10.93 at 120.43 in the quarter mile. Rear gears 3:54. Trans B & M TH 350. Convertor A-1 4,000 stall. Engine SBC 355 w 6 inch rods, 7:5:1 static compression with Ross forged pistons and Dart 220 heads, an RV grind hydraulic roller, Weiand 250 SBC blower (swept volume same as a GMC 4:71), and twin Holley 600 cfm boost referenced carbs. The Weiand blower is basically a 2:53 in configuration, having only two lobes, but its' swept volume roughly equals the GMC 4:71. On the street, I run 29-1/2 inch tall generic radials. On the strip, I run 30 inch tall Goodyear drag radials. I tried street/strip BFGs, but they were a total waste of time and money. The Goodyears turn 1.50 60s and run straight as a string; the BFGs could not even get below 1.80 and were so slippery it was hard to keep the A straight under power. On the street, I run premium pump gas 92 octane. On the strip, seeking to avoid any risk of detonation, I run 112 octane race gas, blended with the 92 already in my tank. The A is driven to the track with the slicks and jack in a carrier bolted to a trailer hitch in the rear of the A then raced once the slicks are bolted on. At day's end, the "basket trailer" for the slicks and jack are then bolted back into the trailer hitch, and we drive back home on the street tires, with the slicks and jack back into the basket. And, last but not least, much of the credit for getting this sedan into the 10s goes to the superb and patient advice I have received over the past several years from the expert commentators on Hotrodders Bulletin Board. So "YES', one can run 10s in an entirely streetable hot rod, set up correctly.