Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - SBC stroker project, small budget
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2007, 03:11 PM
Rambler American -69

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I did the camshaft break-in with my friend. We ran about 30 minutes at standstill with various rpms, mostly 2000rpm. I changed the oil after cam break-in and drove about 300 miles and changed the oil and the filter again.

Here's some updated for the engine parts.

I installed PCV-valve system, which improved idling alot. Now the engine compartment stays also clean. Previously the breather spitted some oil over the valve cover, not anymore.

I got new electric fuel pump from Carter. It increased the idle exhaust sounds more crispier and the throttle response became alot better. Perhaps the old mechanical fuel pump was worn out and no sufficient enough.

I had a problem after 3500rpm. The tachometer started to jump up and down and I was not able to rev up over 4000rpm. Mopar Chrome ignition box had to go along with the old ignition coil.

I purchased MSD 6AL ignition box, Accel Super Coil and Accel High Temp spark plug wires. Some sort of electric ignition conversion has been done by the previous owner on the internals of the stock GM distributor.

Now I noticed that my tachometer didn't work anymore. I have to order an additional part from MSD ( PN 8920 adapter ).

Now I'm waiting for this adapter to arrive so that I can adjust the timing correctly. Now the engine is running even better than before. It revs easily up to god nows how much rpm until I get the tachometer working. I installed 6000rpm rev limiting module that came with the MSD ignition, so I won't overrev the engine.

When I get the timing adjusted and everything working, I'll head to dyno and report the results.

I have noticed that my engine runs easily a little too hot (95 degrees Celsius). I changed a cooler thermostat (I think it was 180F/82C) but it didn't help. I have a quite large radiator, but it is single row unit. I may have to change into two-row or three-row aluminum radiator when I have enough money. I have the mechanical fan with self made fan shroud and also two electrical fans on the other side of the radiator. Another option could be to install engine oil cooler. Which is better, aluminum radiator or additional engine oil cooler?