Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - SBC stroker project, small budget
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Rambler American -69

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I had a minor breakdown. I was accelerating heavily as I passed a truck on the road. The flywheel cover got loose or it was torn loose. Also the shell of the transmission (TH350) was cracked badly around the turbine. I was 200 miles from home, so I had to make a temporary setup by fixing the crack by drilling holes into a steel sheet and on both sides of the crack in the tranny and installing bolts and nuts into the holes. About 30 miles before home I lost all gears.

Now I'm thinking about what kind of transmission I should start saving. I'm gonna buy new engine supports also. I was told that stock TH350 cast aluminum shells can crack quite easily. I'm trying to save money for some tranny that can handle the power it's producing now and in the future when I'll buy aluminum heads.

I haven't done anything to my 9" Ford rear axle either. Any ideas how much hp/torque stock 9" rear end can handle or should I save some money for the internals of the rear end also?