SBC timing chain cover Install - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2003, 06:27 PM
Ernie not Bert

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

SBC timing chain cover Install

Hi everyone, I know I saw apost on this but have searched and searched and can't find it again . On an 86 Chev 305, can the timing chain cover be removed and reinstalled without dropping the oil pan ? Just starting my cam replacement and hope this won't be a snag. Thx

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2003, 08:20 PM

Last photo:

You can remove the timing cover without removing the pan, yust remove the first 5-6 bolts in the front of the pan and wedge a large flat screwdriver or chisel between the pan and block on each side between the first two bolt holes, this will lower the front of the pan approx 1/8" . Then pry the cover forward at the top(easily) pulling forward till the cover clears the lower pan seal. Before you re install the cover ,trim the top corners (on the cover) pan seal rail, at a 45% angle, so it will slip into place with a new rubber sear glued to it, use sealer on the pan gasket and re assemble it.
Old 06-22-2003, 06:26 AM
Ernie not Bert

Last photo:

Thx Bob, that will make the job a lot easier considering the facilities I have work in.
Old 06-22-2003, 03:14 PM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com
You can remove the timing cover without removing the pan, yust remove the first 5-6 bolts in the front of the pan and wedge a large flat screwdriver or chisel between the pan and block on each side between the first two bolt holes, this will lower the front of the pan approx 1/8" . Then pry the cover forward at the top(easily) pulling forward till the cover clears the lower pan seal. Before you re install the cover ,trim the top corners (on the cover) pan seal rail, at a 45% angle, so it will slip into place with a new rubber sear glued to it, use sealer on the pan gasket and re assemble it.
You will also have to remove the harmonic balancer, the timing chain cover(stock) will not come off unless the balancer is removed...
Old 06-23-2003, 07:19 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

I tried that on my ´86 Camaro and was plagued with oil leaks.
It is best to bite the bullet and lift the engine up and drop the pan.I did a cam change and went for the oil pump as well,just beware of the wiper motor when lifting the engine and block it with wood on both sides.If you try to reinstall the timing cover with just a few pan bolts removed it does not seat well on the pan gasket.Another tip is to use pan studs,because it is a pig of a job laying on your back puting those little bolts in.
By the way if your 305 is like mine,an engine change is not far away.I did all that work and now I am building a 355.The 305 was an oil burner,check your spark plug threads for oil,especially number 7.

Last edited by malc; 06-23-2003 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:00 PM

Last photo:

I did my 78 305 without loosening the pan. I beveled the rubbe seal, put a blob of Permatex #2 in the corners, coated the seal & gasket with P. #3, & popped it back in. I ran it for 2 years like that & the only thing that leaked was the valve covers (factory non-gasket).
Old 06-16-2004, 05:08 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

good timing (pun)

do i need a new seal? why wouldnt i be able to re-use mine. i have another cover gasket but not another rubber seal. glued with what? weatherstrip glue or would permatex 300 work on the rubber. i would plan on using it to brush the sealer onto the pan gasket anyway to get it all the way up into the corner where it seperates from the block.

when you say the first 5 bolts i take it you mean on each side? thats half way to the back of the pan.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:20 PM

on my 350 i loosened all the bolts on the oil pan and then took of the timing cover.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:38 PM

I just repaced my cam without loosening the pan too. Was a bit tough getting the cover off but with care I got it off without wrecking anything. I trimmed the
metal on the inside corners like was mentioned anduseda generous amount of Ultra Copper silicone. Andafter the cover was all on I cleaned everything well and put a smear of Ultra Copper around the bottom of the cover and the pan corners again. No leaks at all. I paint my Chevy engines orange and the Ultra Copper stuff is orange so it does a nice job and looks great when done. Nothing worse than a nice orange chevy small block with BLACK or BLUE silicone glaring out at you from all over.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:45 PM

i wish i knew about that stuff before i rebuilt my 350 i have some blue and some black shining through my nice new orange paint job
Old 06-16-2004, 05:51 PM

The Permatex Ultra Copper is high heat and is all I ever use. I often wonder why I almost never see anybody else using it. Does anybody know something about it that I don't? I have always been happy with it.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:40 PM

where do you get it?? ive only seen the black and blue...is it a well known product?
Old 06-16-2004, 08:07 PM

Well here in our part of Canada it is hanging right next to the others. Made by the same company. All auto parts and hardware stores have it.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:18 PM

mayb ill have to look alittle harder next time
Old 06-17-2004, 01:25 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Ktaves1971
The Permatex Ultra Copper is high heat and is all I ever use. I often wonder why I almost never see anybody else using it. Does anybody know something about it that I don't? I have always been happy with it.
I am with you I use it in almost all applications, seems to be thicker and I have had problems with others and switched back to ultra copper and have had the best services. Ed ke6bnl kinda newbie to more involved engine work though.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.