Sbc Turbo Build Questions? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 07:57 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
I said twin turbo because that makes it very fast to spool up with reverse facing headers putting 2 little turbos out front. A single turbo is more than enough for decent boost.
How small would I have to go with twins?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 08:05 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlefed55gasser View Post
How small would I have to go with twins?
A single can spool up just as fast, the biggest difference in spooling and power is going with a properly sized well built turbo. There is a HUGE difference between a turbo designed in the 80's and one designed today. The cost is definitely more but so are the capabilities.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:08 PM

what spin said is true but how to plumb the exhaust and where to put turbo?
you could use 30s,how much do you want to grow later?
Old 01-27-2013, 08:12 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
I said twin turbo because that makes it very fast to spool up with reverse facing headers putting 2 little turbos out front. A single turbo is more than enough for decent boost.
He could use N20 to spool up the turbo. The turbo cars are crazy on the line spooling up
Old 01-27-2013, 08:20 PM

Ive seen NO 2 used to boost a turbo in a 911 VW carrera.
2 little GT-35s could make 700 hp with little to no hesitation with 10 pounds
Old 01-27-2013, 08:34 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Pretty cool, I'm kind of interested in this set up.
I talked to STS guys at SEMA this year. Very helpful and smart guys. I was kicking around a turbo setup for the 68 Camaro. Reading is good but I prefer to talk one on one with a supplier. Give them a call this week and tell them what your thinking as far as a motor and get their input.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:41 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Ive seen NO 2 used to boost a turbo in a 911 VW carrera.
2 little GT-35s could make 700 hp with little to no hesitation with 10 pounds
Yup! We're getting out of the "street car" mode but its pretty cool! The ricer boys use that quite a bit.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:34 PM

Later I would like to be putting down 600-650 rwhp maybe more, I don't need a lit of power, cause I want to be able to put it down to the ground.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:11 PM

Last photo:

this turbo would work good for what your wanting to achieve.. cheap fun and learn in the process GT45 Huge V Band 1000 HPS Turbo turbocharger Camaro GT | eBay
quite a few guys use this trubo on stock LS1.. good tune make over 550hp from a 325cid LS1.. just as example..
try to get your static compression around 8.5 to 9.1.. if you run 9.1, a wider cam lobe seperation around 114-116, 116 being better with this much compression would be best, you should get by on 8-10lbs no problems, but watch your tune.. its best to start out small amounts of boost say 3lbs and tune and work your way up on boost... a electric boost controller will help. running 8.5:1 compression will allow more boost depending on cam profile.. you can run on 93 octain no problem.. again learn to read plugs with turbo apllication if you do decide not use a wide band o2 sensors for air fuel mixture readings.. just my opinon.. but not expert by any means. just trying to help somewhat.. if all fails as mention call a few turbo manufctures for help... one thing to remeber also about camshaft selection.. a camshaft for a supercharger application may work, but a turbocharger profile acually has a diffrent profile from a supercharger due to a turbo using exhaust gases to drive or spool the turbo instead of being crankshaft drivin.. food for thought

Last edited by 67-4-fun; 01-27-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67-4-fun View Post
this turbo would work good for what your wanting to achieve.. cheap fun and learn in the process GT45 Huge V Band 1000 HPS Turbo turbocharger Camaro GT | eBay
quite a few guys use this trubo on stock LS1.. good tune make over 550hp from a 325cid LS1.. just as example..
try to get your static compression around 8.5 to 9.1.. if you run 9.1, a wider cam lobe seperation around 114-116, 116 being better with this much compression would be best, you should get by on 8-10lbs no problems, but watch your tune.. its best to start out small amounts of boost say 3lbs and tune and work your way up on boost... a electric boost controller will help. running 8.5:1 compression will allow more boost depending on cam profile.. you can run on 93 octain no problem.. again learn to read plugs with turbo apllication if you do decide not use a wide band o2 sensors for air fuel mixture readings.. just my opinon.. but not expert by any means. just trying to help somewhat.. if all fails as mention call a few turbo manufctures for help... one thing to remeber also about camshaft selection.. a camshaft for a supercharger application may work, but a turbocharger profile acually has a diffrent profile from a supercharger due to a turbo using exhaust gases to drive or spool the turbo instead of being crankshaft drivin.. food for thought
How good are those eBay turbos? Seems like a good deal it would be fun to play with, good info bud!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:50 AM

we have a few junl yard rats here,maybe make a new thread about recycled turbo(s)?ap72/spinn/fbird they might have an idea
Old 01-28-2013, 08:07 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
How good are those eBay turbos? Seems like a good deal it would be fun to play with, good info bud!
ebay turbos...

That's a very wide open subject. some of them are okay and will work fine- they're not as good as a state of the art unit from a pro builder of course but they also won't fly apart.

There are also many that will fly apart, and won't last 50 miles.

If you decide to go this route my advice is to buy from a vendor that has a good reputation, will accept returns, and can answer questions. If you do buy one as soon as you get it after initial inspection of the basics, disassemble it and check EVERYTHING.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:11 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
we have a few junl yard rats here,maybe make a new thread about recycled turbo(s)?ap72/spinn/fbird they might have an idea
Unless you go to a heavy equipment junkyard where they have large turbo diesels most junkyard turbos will be maxed out around 500hp. You can obviously run dual turbos but finding two identical turbos in a junkyard is next to impossible and at 500hp it is far easier to just run a single.

One thing I will mention, on a street car you're better off going slightly undersized on turbos as you will almost NEVER drive at peak power, an undersized turbo will build more power at the low rpm range, the trade off is that to make the same peak power as a large turbo you then require higher boost pressure.
The Following User Says Thank You to ap72 For This Useful Post:
vinniekq2 (01-28-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 08:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
from what ive read and few that ive talk to locally, there not to bad, this piticular guy that i sent the link here is where it seems most from get there cheap turbo from.. them seem to work out fine, especially with the hp you want to make.. it will not be hard by any mean's.. The turbo forms.com is a good place to get great info to help learn more....

as for junkyard turbo, im sure these maybe hard to find, but if you can find turbos from a buick grand national, those work out great..
Old 01-28-2013, 08:59 AM

Last photo:

also to add, the ebay turbo i have the link to is a cheap starter turbo,budget freindly to help you learn and tune.. these turbos are by any means no comparison to a turbo from Banks or Turbonetics as far as quality.... your higher end turbos will be more efficiant and be a lot better built to handle what ever you thro at.. also your mustang forms are good place to fine turbo builds and suggestions.. altho your not building a ford engine, the setup will be very similar

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.