Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Sbc V-belt Help Needed
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 02:02 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

When swapping around a bunch of pulleys, please be careful and make sure the spacers and pulleys fit the shaft and don't just trust the bolts to hold things in center. I did this a long, long time ago and the first time I revved the engine up the water pump shaft snapped and the fan and pulley went through the radiator. It was off balance because even though the bolts lined up, the hole in the center of the water pump pulley was bigger then the shaft. It could have gone through me or my hand because I was leaning right over the engine. Chevy water pumps come in a lot of different sizes - big shaft, small shaft, short shaft, long shaft. Another thing to check when running v-belts is that the newer small block water pumps run or rotate opposite of the engine rotation. I saw a fellow use a reverse rotation (newer pump) in an older application and it blew the bottom hose off and cooked the motor. As you are finding out pulleys are not as easy as bolt on and go. The squeal may be coming from using mixed v-belt groove in the pulleys. Check and make sure that all of your pulleys have the same angle in the pulley groove. If you could find a complete set up from an older engine that would be the route to go. Good luck!