Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Sbc V-belt Help Needed
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 02:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacjosh
[IMG][/IMG]
this is mine without a power steering belt but just run the power steering belt to the crank to the power steering pump and you will be fine

Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings here but anytime I see people give information on belts and pulleys I like for it to be correct. As I stated earlier it is not something to take for granted! I know of a young fellow that was killed by a fan blade that came off. In the picture that you have shown here it would create two different speeds on the belts and the reason is because you have two different size groove diameters on your water pump pulley. The size of the alternator pulley and the size of the power steering pump pulley has no variation of speed in the two belts as long as the two groove diameters in the crank pulley and the two groove diameters in the water pump pulley have the same diameter. The water pump pulley you have shown has two different size diameters on it. This type of pulley would not use a belt that also went over the crank it would only use one of the two belts over the crank shaft and not both of them. A pulley such as you have shown could be used to drive another accessory but the belt that drives the second accessory could only be put around the water pump and not over the crank or they would fight each other and squeal and one of the two belts would wear out real quick.

I have drawn a picture that shows how it works with two belts over the crank and water pump. In this picture the two grooves of the pulley on the water pump are of the same diameter and the two grooves of the crank pulley are of the same diameter. The fact that the power steering pump has a different size pulley then the one that is on the alternator has no effect on belt speed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	belts.GIF
Views:	214
Size:	3.0 KB
ID:	59517