Sbc V-belt Help Needed - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2011, 05:56 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc1990rodder
Thanks for all the info guys..guessing this is why the sqeal is going away after i remove the alt belt!!
To come back to this, my personal daily driver is my 89, S15 GMC with a very modified 350. I back dated the engine to V-belts to unclutter the view in the engine room. The belts only run the coolant pump and alternator, yet the alternator belt was always a squealer in the winter with the lights on , the defroster running full blast, let alone bring the stereo with amp up. The crank is running a two sheave pulley as is the coolant pump, but the alternator ran only a single belt pulley with a long belt off the crank and coolant pump. It aways squealed under load when the engine was cold. I doubled the pulley on the alternator and the squeal problem went away.

Bogie

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011, 08:36 PM

Yea thanks Cole, the alt. is straight and true. When i got this truck the alt was on some aftermarket type bracket system and was off about 3/8-1/2 inch so i found an o.e.m. bracket an installed it to get the alt back on track!

Bogie, Thanks again.. And I'm going to try to find the double alt. pulley get it installed and add a belt to it also.. and I would sure like to see your truck photos sounds cool.. This is an '88 chevy 1500 with a stock '72 400ci only mods to the engine is bowtie highrise and eldr 600 carb! Lowered 4'' in the front and 6'' in the back and this is my daily driver.. On the other hand I have a '90 gmc 1500 modified 5.7L,swapped to carb,comp thumpr cam,hooker headers,full posi rear w/4.10 gears and it has the serpentine belt system..and like you I kinda like the less cluttered look of the v-belt better.. anyways thanks alot for all of ya'lls help!!!

Joey
Old 11-04-2011, 08:39 PM

Belts

If you are going to two belts be sure to buy a matched set. They are exactly the same. Parts stores carry these.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Banned User

Last photo:

What brand are the belts? i find gates to be high quality and minimizes squeal.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:18 PM

Yes sir these are gates XL's ..thanks for the help though!!
Old 11-05-2011, 07:27 PM
84 stroked ss

Last journal entry: exhaust
Last photo:

i could be wrong but my buddy done the same thing and kept eating belts but look at the pulley on the water pupmp and if both belts go to the crank they are trying 2 run 2 different speeds because the water pump pulley grooves are 2 different sizes so take the alt belt off the crank and just run it to the water pump and alt.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:22 PM

belts

Taking the alt. belt off the crank is a bad idea,power steering belt breaks and then you have no water pump or alt working. You can drive to get parts or home without power steering,but not without a working waterpump.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:35 AM

Right now i have the noise down to a small sqeal. Ive added a second belt to everything that a can. (except the alt.) And also tightened the p*ss out of them! LOL but there is still a lil noise that is about to drive me crazy! I can't find any type of diagram on the web of the actual route the belts are supposed to be? Guess it's up to whoever installs them! Thanks again for the help guys
Old 11-06-2011, 01:25 PM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacjosh
i could be wrong but my buddy done the same thing and kept eating belts but look at the pulley on the water pupmp and if both belts go to the crank they are trying 2 run 2 different speeds because the water pump pulley grooves are 2 different sizes so take the alt belt off the crank and just run it to the water pump and alt.
Exactly. They make different size water pump pulleys and crank pulleys. If both the water pump pulley and crank pulley are not the same size that run the PS pump and the alternator it throws them out of wack. One is spinning in one direction and the other is spinning in the opposite direction. If one of the pulleys is smaller it will try to run the pulley at a different speed and you will have belt squeel and a balance problem.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:05 PM

Just about every one of the pulleys are different sizes.. Except the two that are on the power steering pump they are the same .. water pump has a smaller pulley behind the larger one and the same on the crankshaft..? Is this not right?
Old 11-06-2011, 05:04 PM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

You have the wrong pulleys. The water pump pulley should have the same size pulley in the back as the one in front of it. The crank pulley should also be the same size driving the PS pump and alternator.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:13 PM

The pulleys were never change by me. Its the exact same set up as when i pulled it from a large motor home..As far as the guy that gave me the engine he said he has never had any mechanical problems since he bought the motor home new in '73 lol! So maybe they were changed by the motor home manufactor not sure but I'll look into it and change them as needed! Thanks for the help guys!!
Old 11-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

I'm having a tough time trying to follow parts of this thread, and how you have your belts routed. Any chance you could post some pics?

The other thing to be mindful of when working with v-belts and pullies on an SBC is that there are two completely different setups out there.

One is designed for a short water pump ("SWP") and the other is for a long water pump ("LWP")

Most engines newer than 1969 were "LWP"
The easiest method of identification is which side of the block the alternator sits.

Quote:
Motorchrome.com

If you have a long water pump Small Block Chevy your alternator will be mounted on the passenger side of the engine
Old 11-06-2011, 05:30 PM

Sorry 66gmc my camera took a dump on me the other day so cant post pics..it would make it alot easier I know !! OK so took another look at it.. Yes i have the long water pump..ALT. is on pass side, powersteering is bottom drivers side... Crank has three pulleys both are equal sizes,water pump has a larger pulley on the outside and a smaller one on the inside(closest to the block). Power steering has two pulleys of equal size. And the alt. for now only has one pulley...
As far as the belts are right now... one belt is from crank to water pump to powersteering pump (this belt is on this inside) second belt is from crank to water pump to the ALT. And tommorrow I will add a second belt from crank to powersteering pump. As suggested above. Sorry for any confusion..
And this is a '72 400ci 4bm
Old 11-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

OK.
If you run into problems, motorchrome has any of the pullies that you might need, and has an e-mail of :tech@motorchrome.com if you need help.

I'm not on commision, either ... LOL ... I'm just a fairly happy customer of theirs.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.