Sbc V-belt Help Needed - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2011, 05:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

This one has the right set up on it
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8&4spd
If you are only running a alternator and PS pump both the pulleys have to be the same size. The crank pulley drives both of them first. If you use the smaller pulley in back the water pump pulley wants to run at 2 different speeds. It's a fact there is a night and day difference when you have the right size pulley on the water pump.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 05:42 PM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

That set up runs as smooth as butter. With or without the clutch fan it does not seem to make a difference.

Last edited by V8&4spd; 11-07-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:12 PM
84 stroked ss

Last journal entry: exhaust
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kemp
Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings here but anytime I see people give information on belts and pulleys I like for it to be correct. As I stated earlier it is not something to take for granted! I know of a young fellow that was killed by a fan blade that came off. In the picture that you have shown here it would create two different speeds on the belts and the reason is because you have two different size groove diameters on your water pump pulley. The size of the alternator pulley and the size of the power steering pump pulley has no variation of speed in the two belts as long as the two groove diameters in the crank pulley and the two groove diameters in the water pump pulley have the same diameter. The water pump pulley you have shown has two different size diameters on it. This type of pulley would not use a belt that also went over the crank it would only use one of the two belts over the crank shaft and not both of them. A pulley such as you have shown could be used to drive another accessory but the belt that drives the second accessory could only be put around the water pump and not over the crank or they would fight each other and squeal and one of the two belts would wear out real quick.

I have drawn a picture that shows how it works with two belts over the crank and water pump. In this picture the two grooves of the pulley on the water pump are of the same diameter and the two grooves of the crank pulley are of the same diameter. The fact that the power steering pump has a different size pulley then the one that is on the alternator has no effect on belt speed.
it wouldnt run 2 speeds because it wouldnt go 2 the water and crank so you may wana read all of the post before you say its not correct and by the way stock 2 belts dont even go to crank and water pump
Old 11-07-2011, 06:21 PM

experts

So now another expert that doesn't have a clue. If you look at the picture that you say is correct do you and others see that it has belts on it that don't fit the pulleys. Look at the edges of the belts. Also you are telling the op all the pulleys need to be the same on the water pump so you can now explain how this pulley is correct when it has smaller pulley on front. Come on guys the op has a small belt or alignment problem and now you are wanting him to change everything.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:24 PM
84 stroked ss

Last photo:

please re read the posts i never said they all need to be the same and no it doesnt have 2 belts on the water pump im just telling him how he can use the pulley he has
Old 11-07-2011, 06:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEVYRODS
So now another expert that doesn't have a clue. If you look at the picture that you say is correct do you and others see that it has belts on it that don't fit the pulleys. Look at the edges of the belts. Also you are telling the op all the pulleys need to be the same on the water pump so you can now explain how this pulley is correct when it has smaller pulley on front. Come on guys the op has a small belt or alignment problem and now you are wanting him to change everything.
Where is yours
Old 11-07-2011, 07:34 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEVYRODS
I didn't say all the pulleys on the water pump have to be the same size I said if you run two belts from the crank to the water pump then the two pulleys that are being used and that are on the water pump need to be of the same diameter. Also the two grooves of the pulley that are on the crank and are being used for the purpose of the belts that go up to the water pump need to be of the same diameter. The crank pulley and the water pump pulleys do not need to be of the same size diameter and they are usually a little different in size.

In the case of the pulley set up in the picture I posted (the picture that V8&4spd originaly posted) it is correct. He is using a factory pulley that has a smaller pulley on the front of it for another accessory. But you would not put a belt on that pulley and run it down to a pulley on the crank shaft. Because then you would have this belt running at a different speed.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:38 PM
84 stroked ss

Last photo:

right that is the same thing i was saying also
Old 11-07-2011, 07:45 PM

Last photo:

Chris is correct about different water pumps, pulleys and what happens when they are not right. I probably have all the different pulleys and water pumps. Some people on here are just stirring the pot. They talk the talk but don't walk the walk. You can change a $15.00 or less pulley or you can spend the same amount on a new fan belt.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:48 PM

I'm so confussed now I don't even know whats right or wrong LOL!! It's just belts guys! Thanks for everyones help sorry for any confusions....
Old 11-07-2011, 07:56 PM
84 stroked ss

Last photo:

ok soory for any confusion but this is how my monte was stock just like the pic i posted but also had power steering and a smog but 1 belt went from crank to water pump alt. and another belt went crank to power steering
Old 11-07-2011, 07:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc1990rodder
I'm so confussed now I don't even know whats right or wrong LOL!! It's just belts guys! Thanks for everyones help sorry for any confusions....
You will get it sorted out. It's a Chevy parts fall out of the air. You can buy brand new crank and water pump pulley for $25. The belts run about $15 a pop now.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:58 PM
84 stroked ss

Last photo:

find someone that has a chiltons manual and check it out if you need more help the library may have them
Old 11-07-2011, 08:00 PM

LOL I'm sure with 72 post on "v-belts" I can sort it out! Thank you all for the help!! Much appreciated!!
Old 11-07-2011, 08:03 PM
84 stroked ss

Last photo:

it will look similar to this

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.