Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Sbc V-belt Help Needed (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/sbc-v-belt-help-needed-208160.html)

gmc1990rodder 11-04-2011 12:55 PM

Sbc V-belt Help Needed

I need help with my v-belts on sbc400ci. I know most of you will say convert to a serpentine system, but this is in an '89 chevy p/u and i kinda like the engine to have the old school look. Ok here's the problem, i have two v-belts on this engine. One is attached to the power steering/waterpump/crank..the other is attached from alt/waterpump/and crank. I have a horrible sqeal! I've taken the alt belt off and the sqeal stopped si thought maybe the alt bearings were bad.. replaced alt...Still sqealing! Took the power steering belt off stopped squealing..changed p/s pump and sqeal returned and i can't seem to pin point where it's comimg from.. THis is also my second set of belts with the same sqeal please help.. Thanks in advance!!!

Hick_101 11-04-2011 12:57 PM

how old is the belt? try some belt dressing maybe and see if that cures a squal?

gmc1990rodder 11-04-2011 01:17 PM

Thanks hick.. Both belts I bought yesterday and both have been sprayed with dressing also

oldbogie 11-04-2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmc1990rodder
I need help with my v-belts on sbc400ci. I know most of you will say convert to a serpentine system, but this is in an '89 chevy p/u and i kinda like the engine to have the old school look. Ok here's the problem, i have two v-belts on this engine. One is attached to the power steering/waterpump/crank..the other is attached from alt/waterpump/and crank. I have a horrible sqeal! I've taken the alt belt off and the sqeal stopped si thought maybe the alt bearings were bad.. replaced alt...Still sqealing! Took the power steering belt off stopped squealing..changed p/s pump and sqeal returned and i can't seem to pin point where it's comimg from.. THis is also my second set of belts with the same sqeal please help.. Thanks in advance!!!

You'll hate this but they needed to be adjusted tighter or where you can you need to double the belts. Certainly belt squeal is something the serpentine gets around as the power extraction has reached a point where V-belts just can't get there with out running multiple belts per pulley. Not that I'm selling serpentine belts just trying to solve problems.

Belt dressing is the kiss of death to belts once used you have to keep using it. They swell the belt which doesn't stay, they shrink back and squeal again but now the belt is also ever so slightly stretched. The squealing belt, also, polishes and glazes the pulley so you need to sand their surfaces to break. the glaze so the belt can get some bite on the pulley.

If you shop in the hot rod catalogs you'll find multiple belt pulleys, by changing to multiples over the water pump and alternator most of this problem will go away plus they add some redundancy so if one belt fails, you not stuck in the middle of no-where.

Bogie

gmc1990rodder 11-04-2011 01:53 PM

THANKS ALOT bogie!!! the alt is the only pulley i have that only has a place for one belt as for the power steering,water pump and crank i have a place for two belts and will be on the lookout for the extra alt. pulley..

gmc1990rodder 11-04-2011 02:05 PM

Bogie one more thing...you said they need to be tighter.. is there an "over tight"? And with the extra belts is there any way to measure for them or is it trial and error method? thanks again

bbowerman 11-04-2011 02:40 PM

ok switch the power steering to its own belt on the crank, and hook water pump, and alternator up together had the same prob on mine that fixed it.

gmc1990rodder 11-04-2011 03:07 PM

Thanks I'll try that too!

bbowerman 11-04-2011 03:20 PM

the power steering pump is always tough on the v-belts

eloc431962 11-04-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbowerman
ok switch the power steering to its own belt on the crank, and hook water pump, and alternator up together had the same prob on mine that fixed it.

X2 and don't be afraid to tighten them up pretty snug.

Cole
:pimp:

gmc1990rodder 11-04-2011 04:10 PM

Thanks cole.. got to find a belt to fit it properly

eloc431962 11-04-2011 04:30 PM

if you talking about the length take a piece of string and run it around the pulleys, just to get a idea of what you might need. and if the string sits down in the pulleys pretty deep just get something alittle longer .:thumbup:

Cole

CHEVYRODS 11-04-2011 04:45 PM

belt squeal

Bbowerman is right,running the 2 belt like you have them,the alt. is fighting with the power steering belt. Power steering pump takes 7hp to run,alt 2 hp.. Make sure your v-belts sit in the pulleys right. You can't just throw any v-belt on it just because it calls for a v-belt. Too narrow a belt and sinks into pulley and slips, Too wide a belt and doesn't work right either. :)

gmc1990rodder 11-04-2011 05:07 PM

Thanks for all the info guys..guessing this is why the sqeal is going away after i remove the alt belt!!

eloc431962 11-04-2011 05:21 PM

Another thing is to make sure the alt and things are running straight and true also. :thumbup:

Cole