SBC Valve Covers w/o Filler Cap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 05:24 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

SBC Valve Covers w/o Filler Cap

Hi All,

I happened to be searching for valve covers on the local Craigslist site, and saw several that had no oil filler caps. Are these for certain type of engines (i.e. from a particular time period) or can they be used on any SBC with accommodations for an oil filler elsewhere? I'm not necessarily looking to buy any, but wanted to ask out of curiosity (although there is a nice Moroso setup for sale )

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vc2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	54365  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2011, 05:35 PM
busted knuckles

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

dont need one, fill through the oil breather caps, then you can fill on both sides for even filling (like it matters lol)
Old 04-11-2011, 05:36 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ductape&monkeywrench
dont need one, fill through the oil breather caps, then you can fill on both sides for even filling (like it matters lol)
Oh, does it need to be poured in evenly? No wonder the oil is only leaking on the driver-side of the engine!

...Joking!

Last edited by lt1silverhawk; 04-11-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:45 PM
busted knuckles

Last photo:

=) nice valve covers btw
Old 04-11-2011, 05:50 PM
"But how do it know?"

Lol! You changed your answer! Thanks, I think they'll look right at home with the recently painted carburetor. Its red and gold.

Thanks for the info DT&MW
Old 04-11-2011, 06:47 PM

oil cap

older small blocks used a pipe with oil cap
Old 04-11-2011, 08:26 PM
"But how do it know?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltonk7
older small blocks used a pipe with oil cap
Oh that's interesting. It doesn't seem to be a part of the advertised package and I couldn't find it online either.

EDIT: Found it on Summit. Not too expensive and look kinda nice too.

Last edited by lt1silverhawk; 04-11-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:58 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1silverhawk
Oh that's interesting. It doesn't seem to be a part of the advertised package and I couldn't find it online either.

EDIT: Found it on Summit. Not too expensive and look kinda nice too.
The factory oil fill tube for valvecovers with no holes in them is pressed into a hole in the front of the intake manifold, in front of the waterneck. To use no hole covers you need to have an intake with this hole in it. Most aftermarket intakes do not have this hole, unless they are from the late 70's aftermarket time period or older, modern aftermarket SBC intakes don't have it.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:09 PM
"But how do it know?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
The factory oil fill tube for valvecovers with no holes in them is pressed into a hole in the front of the intake manifold, in front of the waterneck. To use no hole covers you need to have an intake with this hole in it. Most aftermarket intakes do not have this hole, unless they are from the late 70's aftermarket time period or older, modern aftermarket SBC intakes don't have it.
Forgive the confusion, but are you referring to the Moroso valve covers I mentioned in the first post, with the two holes for the breathers? I have seen the ones that are completely solid with no holes and never thought they would work on my motor because they were meant for the set up you are describing.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:19 PM
busted knuckles

Last photo:

heres a pic of my set up, just gotta get some nice breathers (hope the pic loads)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	217175_176464029071099_100001225081663_446009_2570992_n.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	54366  
Old 04-11-2011, 10:26 PM
"But how do it know?"

Oh that's a nice and simple setup. So, you don't ever have any oil shooting out of the breathers? My last experience with these valve covers was when the previous owner of my '95 Impala SS had installed these type of covers on the LT1 and had removed the factory hoses for some chrome breathers. But it kept spilling oil.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:31 PM
busted knuckles

Last photo:

Never had problems, I ran this motor for about 10k with no breather cap on one of the covers, once thought about stuffin a cotton ball with tape or somethin but now ive romoved the old plugs and putting in new rubber gaskets and breather.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:37 PM
"But how do it know?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ductape&monkeywrench
Never had problems, I ran this motor for about 10k with no breather cap on one of the covers, once thought about stuffin a cotton ball with tape or somethin but now ive romoved the old plugs and putting in new rubber gaskets and breather.
That's very interesting to read. I remember when I discussed the oil spilling from the breather on the aftermarket valve covers with a rep at the local NAPA. He swore the motor would die on me very quickly if I put the stock hoses back on with the aftermarket valve covers. Back then, not knowing much of anything about engines, I became quite nervous and even now, for the life of me, still cannot figure out why he would have come to that conclusion.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:39 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1silverhawk
Forgive the confusion, but are you referring to the Moroso valve covers I mentioned in the first post, with the two holes for the breathers? I have seen the ones that are completely solid with no holes and never thought they would work on my motor because they were meant for the set up you are describing.
I was referring to covers with no holes at all, for anything, like early small block valvecovers. Not the Moroso covers pictured, they have oil fill holes in them, also used for breathers. You can get a rubber plug "oil cap" for this style cover if you need to fill a hole and don't want a breather.

I read your first post as referring to valvecovers that have no hole at all when you posted "no oil fill cap", for either oil fill or PCV. Must be you were just referring to covers with a twist-in cap that locks itself in place, like stock 1970-up valvecovers??
Old 04-11-2011, 10:45 PM
"But how do it know?"

Quote:
I was referring to covers with no holes at all, for anything, like early small block valvecovers. Not the Moroso covers pictured, they have oul fill holes in them, also used for breathers. You can get a rubber plug "oil cap" for this style cover if you need to fill a hole and don't want a breather.
Got it.

Quote:
I read your first post as referring to valvecovers that have no hole at all when you posted "no oil fill cap", for either oil fill or PCV. Must be you were just referring to covers with a twist-in cap that locks itself in place, like stock 1970-up valvecovers??
Sorry. It is now obvious to me that the title is misleading and thats my mistake. I didn't even think about the completely solid covers when I wrote that. Again, my apologies for the confusion. But you got it right, I was referring to the twist-in cap style valve covers. Thanks for the info!

Tags
basics, chevy, generla engine, sbc, valve covers

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.