Hot Rod Forum banner

sbc valve spring

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  notsure 
#1 ·
I have a set of chevy heads with the valve spring,what I am calling a cap and a retainer that spins.I have not seen any heads with this setup,if I get
new springs and retainers do I still need to use the caps and spin retainer.
The heads are ported 882 and will be using umbrella seals.

Thanks

#2 ·
No. You can ditch the shields, or caps, if the guides are worn though you might have oil leak past them even with umbrella seals. New retainers will take place of that rotator also. Just make sure the spring seats in the head are the same height, some later heads have an exhaust spring seat that is lower than the intake to make up for the thickness of the rotator, if it's stepped you'll need the rotator or a spacer. I believe earlier versions just used a shorter spring on the exhaust.

#4 ·
The rotators are on the exhaust side it actually spins the valve to crush carbon on the sealing surface. The Ford 4.9 I6 had these. You can get rid of them if you want you dont need to use them. though I think there is a different spring that goes with those. You will probobly need to pick up a set of retainers and springs if you get rid of the rotators.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.