Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - SBC valve spring retainers......
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2010, 11:16 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

SBC valve spring retainers......

Hey guys so I'm having an issue with these valves I am installing. It appears that the retainers have too large a hole on the inside (where the locks sit) for the locks I am using. When installed the locks don't seat in the retainer until about half way down the retainer and this is causing the retainer to contact the rocker arm since it is sitting too high. My question: is there different size inner hole diameters for SBC retainers and different sized O.D. locks that must be used together? From all the other heads I've seen the locks sit pretty much flush with the top of the retainer so the valve stem is exposed and the rocker clears the retainer. It appears I either need different retainers with smaller inner holes to go with the locks I have or larger O.D. locks to go with the retainers I have. The rockers should clear once that retainer is sitting proper, it is about an 1/8" too high right now. Any info would be very helpfull because the parts stores around here don't even know what day it is.

Thanks,
Keith