Hot Rod Forum banner

SBC valve spring retainers......

7K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  weedy64 
#1 ·
Hey guys so I'm having an issue with these valves I am installing. It appears that the retainers have too large a hole on the inside (where the locks sit) for the locks I am using. When installed the locks don't seat in the retainer until about half way down the retainer and this is causing the retainer to contact the rocker arm since it is sitting too high. My question: is there different size inner hole diameters for SBC retainers and different sized O.D. locks that must be used together? From all the other heads I've seen the locks sit pretty much flush with the top of the retainer so the valve stem is exposed and the rocker clears the retainer. It appears I either need different retainers with smaller inner holes to go with the locks I have or larger O.D. locks to go with the retainers I have. The rockers should clear once that retainer is sitting proper, it is about an 1/8" too high right now. Any info would be very helpfull because the parts stores around here don't even know what day it is.

Thanks,
Keith

#2 ·
Sounds like you are using stock 7° valve locks, and the retainers are 10° type. 10° locks are roughly 1/16" bigger and have a slightly flatter angle, makes them wider at the top. 10° is pretty much the industry race standard now days.

There are also what is called Super 7 locks, these are larger at the upper end like the 10° locks are but are still the 7° angle, makes then bigger around at the lower end than stock 7°.

Do you have a part # for the retainer you have, or measurements of what you have??

#4 ·
Ok thanks guys I didn't realize that, ill take a retainer, valve, and locks down to the parts store and make sure I get the right thing. I don't have any part #'s, they are a little bit dated I think. I have 11/32 valve stems so those retainers could be 10 degree for 3/8 valves making my 7 degree 11/32 locks fit incorrect.

#6 ·
Thanks Weedy, nice to see another local on here :welcome: Yea I will give them a try, it's just a bit out of the way for me since I live in North Vancouver but the Lordco over here is absolutely hopeless, I had to explain what a valve spring retainer was to the guy and in the end he still had no idea :smash:

#7 ·
I use Lordco a lot but only because my nephew works there (with applicable discount) and if he doesn,t know he listens to what I am saying so I get what I want. He is usually able to make me happy but when it comes to performance parts Mopac is a much higher volume place and much better selection and sometimes price.

Good Luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.