Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sbc Valve stem seals

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  cdminter59 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all
Been a few years since Ive played with a Sbc.
Recently dropped a 5.9 cummins into a 96 sierra crew so I've had my hands full.
I just put an 85 Sbc350 into an 84 s10 blazer, th475 HD trans. Bit of a family sleeper :thumbup: its just a standard bore, flat tops, mild cam, intake, edelbrock carb, dual 3" flowmaster super 40's.
Problem is shes pushing a little bit of blue on start up, the engine was my grandfathers he gave me before he passed and said the seals probably need doing. Other than that the heads have been off previously, full gasket kit.
So this is what I got from him. Can you guys tell me which belong on Intake/exhaust and where those rubber O rings go?
Lots of different styles Ive found on google
Thanks, I should know this but its been years!! :rolleyes:

Im thinking blue/Intake brown/exhaust, but how are the O rings installed?

See less See more
#2 ·
I "think" it's just a matter of which ones ya can get on! I had a selection too, when I put my my last sbc together but couldn't get the umbrella type on ( at least none of the ones I had on hand) and I just settled for the little o-ring type. So far so good. I think if I have to change them though, I'll do a little more research, and get the best correct fitting type that's available..

Duke

#3 ·
seals

The blue seals on the left are for intake valves the middle umbrella seals with work on both int/exh (not as good as the blue viton seals) and the o rings will work on both int/exh but can't combine with the other 2 seals, I would use viton/blue seals on intake and umbrells on exh, and not the o rings at all.:thumbup:

#4 ·
The blue seals on the left are for intake valves the middle umbrella seals with work on both int/exh (not as good as the blue viton seals) and the o rings will work on both int/exh but can't combine with the other 2 seals, I would use viton/blue seals on intake and umbrells on exh, and not the o rings at all.:thumbup:
Thanks mud-man, you've educated me too. Now I know what to used when my crappy little o-ring ones give in!!!

Duke

#8 ·
SBC Valve stem seals

What you have is 3 different type seals. The blue ones are rubber seals from a Fel-Pro gasket kit. The brown is a rubber umbrella seal for the exhaust. The black rubber o-rings seals are the cheapest made which nobody uses anymore. Fel-Pro uses two different seals for the intake and exhaust. QSS72527 for intake, and QSS72526 for the exhaust. There also should be an installer in the package or you will damage the seal and it will leak. For the installer check out Auto Zone they carry the Fel-Pro seals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.