Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Sbc very low oil pressure. Use thicker oil?
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 09:19 PM
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373 View Post
Hey guys the 350 in my car has very very low oil pressure at hot idle. Cold idle its very good. Hot idle in gear is literally sitting just over 0 on the gauge. In neutral it comes up to like 4 or 5psi, then when cruising it looks ok. Just slightly under 20psi. The annoying thing is that it doesn't have many miles since rebuilt. I was thinking maybe the filter is clogged, but I didn't think that it will affect oil pressure, at least not this much. I was thinking of getting a fresh filter and some thicker oil and seeing what that does for it. What would be a good oil to get? I would think 20w50 is too thick. It has 10w30 in it now. I don't know if 10w40 is a big enough jump to make any difference. Any help is awesome. Thanks
There are two areas you should check. A defective oil pump or the distributor itself. The housing itself may not be sealed causing the oil passage to leak back in the oil pan. I had to replace my distributor twice. Once on a 307 and most resent my 406. Hope this helps ya.