Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - SBC with vortec heads and thumpr cam timing/carb questions
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 01:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

SBC with vortec heads and thumpr cam timing/carb questions

First of all I am new and wanted to say thanks to everyone who makes this site awesome. I have used Hot Rodders for much of my sbc build but now i am down to the nitty gritty and have detailed technical questions about my build i hope someone can answer.

The build:
stock 4 bolt sbc block and pistons with standard bore and stroke
stock 096 vortec heads with upgraded springs and retainers(NEW)
COMP Thumpr Cam (advertised duration 279/297, lift .479/.465)(NEW)
Rhoads lifters (originals not V-max)(NEW)
Petronix HEI distributor(NEW)
Edelbrock 600cfm(NEW)
Guess on compression and hp is 9.3:1 and about 360hp. (reference only please)

Disclaimer- Please do not fill this post with "you shoulda done this or you should have bought this." I spent time and money on this build and would like to use what I have. Relative questions are more than welcome. Thanks for understanding.

Question time.
With the cam and lifters I have in this setup what would be recommended for initial,mechanical, vacuum, and therefore total timing? I am looking for a solid starting point for further tuning. I know the basic rules for sbc's but am hoping for a more specific starting point.

What are people with similar builds setting up there carburetors like? I'm asking about needles, seats, springs, how many turns out on the air mixture screws? The more detailed info on this the better. I have tried multiple configurations with the edelbrock 600 and non of them are quite right.

I will wait for some responses before I give more details. I dont want to unintentionally get people off track with possible unrelated problems build wise.

Ok thanks to everyone in advance for the help and expertise.