Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - SBC with vortec heads and thumpr cam timing/carb questions
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 11:42 AM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarlx View Post
keep the info coming people. The Rhoads lifter choice was for my father. He had them in his old camaro and he asked me to put them in my setup. I agree that it hurts my build and have thought about replacing them. I will try your timing suggestion Greg T. As far as issues. The truck runs and drives, its just has a shutter/shake in cruise mode. I have eliminated the possibility of trans due to enriching the fuel intake but then it over fuels at idle. I could tell you tons of details on where I have been with this and what makes me think its timing and carb but I'm sure noone really wants that. So my main issues is either over fueling to the point of gas in oil and/or I have a shutter/shake in cruise mode. Still would like to hear more timing suggestions.
Rhoads will probably destroy that cam. I think they are made for long duration long ramp cams with the thumpr is a newer style cam.

Thumpr will usally make close to the max hp for cams in its size. Not a whimpy cam but very peaky. I like the idea but not brave enough to try it myself but if it works please let us know cause the thumpr cams with good low end would not be a bad combo.

You may want to call comp cams and make sure they are compatible. If they wont work at all best to find out now and before you wipe the cam in the motor on the side of the highway. Also if it does work it should help with carb setup and give more vacum so carb will act more normal.