Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   SBC Water Pumps (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/sbc-water-pumps-227563.html)

Chevyshome 12-25-2012 05:54 PM

SBC Water Pumps

Merry Christmas to all my fellow Hot Rodders........ from the Great White North:)........I am wondering who can tell me the difference in the depth between a short water pump and a long water pump........I am considering switching to a long pump to hopefully alleviate a potential cooling problem by having my cooling fan projected closer to the radiator.......I am hoping not to have to install a fan shroud..... as I have a slightly restricted space ......right now I am running with a 19" clutch fan.......anyone out there ever had a similar problem or......would you have an ideal suggestion.........Thanks:thumbup: for taking time to read my inquiry.........Chevy......!:D

poncho62 12-25-2012 06:06 PM

I dont think its enough to make a difference..probably less than an inch.....Besides, you would have to change all your brackets, alternator to the other side......different bottom pulley....More trouble than its worth unless you have the complete long pump setup.

Chevyshome 12-25-2012 07:57 PM

ok thanks for the response Poncho ............!

RWENUTS 12-25-2012 10:11 PM

Cheapest way is to get a fan spacer.
Aluminum Fan Spacers with Bolts - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop

Chevyshome 12-26-2012 08:41 AM

Thanks for your response......but a spacer won't work on a clutch fan.....!

cobalt327 12-26-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevyshome (Post 1627124)
Thanks for your response......but a spacer won't work on a clutch fan.....!

There are different length fan clutch assemblies. Check the Specifications chart page 5 for what Hayden has available, there might be something you could use depending on the length you now have.

But a shroud would be the better solution, as far as cooling efficiency goes.

lakeroadster 12-27-2012 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevyshome (Post 1626988)
... I am wondering who can tell me the difference in the depth between a short water pump and a long water pump........

And here ya go! :welcome:

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/u...mp-diagram.jpg

Chevyshome 12-27-2012 09:22 AM

and thanks for your response.......I have maximum depth with my short water pump and clutch fan at this time and from what I see......the only option I have is to install a universal fan shroud.....and hopefully thta will do the trick.....we shall see....Chevy ...!

philzell 12-27-2012 10:19 AM

Have you thought about dual electric fans, you will not need a shrowd.

1971BB427 12-27-2012 01:45 PM

And why wont a spacer work on a clutch fan? It simply goes between the pulley and the mounting plate of the clutch, instead of going on the fan. I've used them with clutch fans before and the base doesn't know if it's sitting on a pulley, or a pulley with a spacer.
Just don't go too thick on the spacer when using it with a clutch fan. I'd not go more than 1.5"

Chevyshome 12-27-2012 07:41 PM

I was hoping to stay mechanical but..........as a last resort.........I just may have to consider that option so.......thanks for your response........!

Chevy

bjautos7 12-27-2012 08:46 PM

i will check the clutch fan frist as these do fail and course engine's to run hot. if the engine run fine before then started to get hot it more likey to be the clutch fan it self. swap over fan frist and go from there.

1971BB427 12-28-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevyshome (Post 1627745)
I was hoping to stay mechanical but..........as a last resort.........I just may have to consider that option so.......thanks for your response........!

Chevy

Mechanical?? I thought you had a clutch fan? What do you mean by staying mechanical? You would keep the clutch fan if you went with a spacer under the clutch fan's base.

AutoGear 12-28-2012 11:12 AM

You should always run a fan shroud

Chevyshome 12-28-2012 02:16 PM

yes..........depending on how close your fan is to the rad........Mine is 5 inches away......I see where Summit and Jegs have Universal shrouds in stock........!

Chevy