Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - sbc wont move freely after rebuild rebuild.
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 08:12 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskeeter99 View Post
A buddy of mine brought me a crate engine from jaspers that was very difficult to turn over. He told me he traded for it. The guy he got it from took it apart a few years ago but did not mark anything. Then put it back together.I loosened all the rod bolts, and got it to turn. So I started tightening on rod at a time and checking to see if i could turn it. if it turn i went to the next one if not i tried swapping some around. I have the front 4 good. I can get 1 of the last 4 by itself but can get all 4 at once. Do any of ya ll have a secret to help fix this are do i have to just keep moving caps till i get it?
Each rod and rod cap assembly is unique once it is machined. Randomly moving the caps around and having the engine run is impossible. The rods were probably marked at one time.
Do you see any markings on the rods or the caps?

This is also true for the main bearing caps on the block. They too are usually marked and install in a particular direction also.