Sbc won't start, I'm guessing?? HELP - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2012, 06:24 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sbc won't start, I'm guessing?? HELP

Okay, so just installed new cam and broke the motor in for 30 min, process went fine and temp was great, Now I turned it off and then went to turn the motor back on and nothing. The gen and temp light turn on when I put the key inside the ignition and click 2-3x right before turn on.. When I turn the key to turn the car on, No Rattle, No Click click click, just silent try again silent like if I wasn't even turning the key to crank...

I'm guessing the battery, due to I connected my (good wrench battery tester,charger,Car Start), and pressed CAR START when it said READY I turned the key, vroom right on... But I find it weird that the lights go on, and the GEN and temp light turn on while the motor doesn't.....HELP

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 06:51 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

GM car? Headers? Sounds like the classic "starter heatsoak syndrome". What size cables are you using? Remote solenoid?
Mark
Old 08-24-2012, 07:32 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroracer View Post
GM car? Headers? Sounds like the classic "starter heatsoak syndrome". What size cables are you using? Remote solenoid?
Mark
73 nova , 350 with headers, battery cables are 4 gauge , also on my battery CHARGER/car start/ tester only the CAR START WORKS DUE TO BUTTONS MESSED UP. So it could be the starter your saying
Old 08-24-2012, 09:06 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I would suspect the small gauge starter wires are getting to hot along with the solenoid. Check out this thread and look at the link I provided.
starting
Seems to be a lot of these issues here this week. Read through the MAD site as you will find a TON of info there.
Mark
Old 08-24-2012, 07:43 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Actually 4ga. wire is adequate. Those small lights don't take much power to light up. Turn the key to "run" or whatever you do to get the dash lights to come on and then turn the headlights on. If the lights go out or get very dim, your battery is bad or you have a bad connection. If they stay on, you have a wiring problem. You could take your battery and have it tested.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:15 PM

Last photo:

Yup that's what I'm gonna do, get it checked ..
Old 08-25-2012, 09:25 PM

make shure your getting power from the ignition to the starter wire,s also make shure you have a good engine ground to your battery,, and engine to frame ground is good,, also make shure your alt is chargeing with the right voltage should be between 13 or 14 volt.s

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.